Calgary shop report

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OK, back to topic....

PetLand Crowfoot: Holy disappointing, Batman! Several of theit tanks are non-functional, 30 or so tanks are empty, the entire (and sparsely stocked) goldfish wall is marked 'not for sale', and the tanks that have fish have nothing interesting and are pretty poorly stocked. From what I have heard, the store is suffering from lack of a fish/reptile manager.

Sunnyside Garden Centre: Wow...if you have not been there lately, go....the store has undergone considerable renos and updating, giving it a great new look, a less-crowded tropical plants section, an indoor koi pond, and the pet section is bright, clean, less crowded, and has some decent livestock tanks with healthy fish. Prices are reasonable on fish, but drystock is a little more than most LFSes.

Toirtis

Neolamprologus savoryi sometimes refered to as black brichardi? I think I have 3 of those...

Moose

N. savoryi are sometimes referred to as black brichardi, but I believe N. walteri are more often.

Franco's Aquariums has a 20" Channa micropeltis for a mere $20.

well, i was at Riverfront today looking at some of their stock for this saturday *cracks knuckles*

So there are a few things i saw pretty good prices for:
Odessa Barbs for $6.99 (all other places i saw these as more, sometimes much more!)
Archerfish 2 for $30
and the coolestthing i saw there was ...
Anableps $21.99 each

incase you don't know about these, they are mainly brackish (if i am not mistaken) and they really are 4 eyed fish. When they surface, half their eye sees above the water while the other half sees below the water. They are truely unique.

SerLunchbox said:
Anableps $21.99 each

incase you don't know about these, they are mainly brackish (if i am not mistaken) and they really are 4 eyed fish. When they surface, half their eye sees above the water while the other half sees below the water. They are truely unique.

Livebearers, too...one CAS member spawned them in captivity a few times about 5 years ago.

Ahem*
petland in crowfoot has recently had over half their "fishroom" blocked off and the other tanks are scarcely populated and they have I think maybe one reptile there at the momentalso I think they don't have any goldfish though I'm prolly mistaken (I didn't really look)

Nook said:
Ahem*
petland in crowfoot has recently had over half their "fishroom" blocked off and the other tanks are scarcely populated and they have I think maybe one reptile there at the momentalso I think they don't have any goldfish though I'm prolly mistaken (I didn't really look)

Yes, we are just waiting for some sort of sale (like they did when reno-ing Westhills), but nothing yet....too bad, I could use some new driftwood. :wink:

lol yeah would be sweet *waits patiently* too bad I just bought fish, I wont be due for anuthing for a good while

Attention Kmart Shoppers...

I mean Calgary Shoppers...

Dropped by Big Al's and they have brichardi on sale.. Some without fin's. The worst were the two with out tail fins :(

The shark looks sick (just my personal opinion.)

They are redoing the one wall. Don't think it will help much.

I was inside for a grand total of 2 minutes.

I also stopped in at the PetSmart on Macleod and spent 6 minutes in there.. (They had a ton of golden wonders)

Moooose

Any killifish sighted in the city?

I might break down and go get the blue panchax at pisces....

Mooose

Stopped by the Sunridge Petland today. Tanks look awful. Fish look unhealthy, and even with the sale price for their 'garage sale' the price is unusually higher than normal for stores around town. (an example: Neon Tetras 6 for $20, and that was the SALE price).

Went to Pisces after and picked up 30 Neon's for $12 (5/$1.99) Made for a cool colour/shoaling addition along with my Ram's in the community tank.

Hit a couple of shops during my travels today...

Shawnessy Petland: They have a new marketing ploy...Tuesdays are now 50% off all fish that are regularly $10 and under....problem is that their regular pricing seems to have jumped a good 30%-40% to compensate.....I spotted $6.18 small fancy guppies, $8.20 golden wonder killies, platies ranging from $4-$8 each.

Gold Aquarium: 1-1½" clown loaches on for $4.99 each, some very nice 'tiger' platies (can't remember the price), TONS of discus.....and the weirdest-looking tattooed gouramis you have ever seen (they even had one that had "I love you" tattooed on its side).

Pisces: Quality and selection of livestock seems to be increasing....first time I have seen bumblebee shrimp in Calgary, and a tank full of 2" Hoplos for $9 each....Chilodus punctatus, too (when was the last time you saw those?). Lots of plants in, but the pricing on some of them is strangely ugly (like banana plants for $8.99 each).

Always appreciated Toirtis!

I did end up going back into Pisces on Tuesday to kill some time and they had gotten in a big order. The staff was opening it up all excited like Christmas morning.

And some of the staff were picking up fish for there own tanks. I am sure this goes on all the time but still had a carnival atmosphere about it.

I picked up some Sunset platy's at the request of my small child ;) They weren't in the best shape so I decided I would accept her challenge. Besides they were tiny cute orange guys so twist my rubber arm.

Almost tempted to go and see the tatooed fish just so I can say that I saw them.. Haha

When have you ever liked the prices on the plants at Pisces.. I can't remember a time I've gone in there and got excited about plants.

Moose

Moose

Bit of an addenum...

It's official...Riverfront has acquired an additional approximately 1100 sq ft in an adjoining bay, so work is now underway for some moderate renovations to move the reptiles into that area and give the main retail fish area some spare room (and breathing space)!

Riverfront has fugu puffers on for $15.99 each.

Forgot to mention that Pisces also has in 'gulper catfish' (appears to be a ompok sp....or some similar silurid) for about $16 each.

Ok here is my official (mostly useless) shop report from yesterday:

1st Stop RiverFront:
-Really Really beautiful Opaline Gourami's that are approx 6 each. They told me to come pick them up during a lunch hour for one of my work tanks.
-25 buck killies... Couldn't do it. Even at 2 for 1 prices I don't think I could do it. Forgot to write down the name to see if they are rare or something. Gardeneri for sure.
- There was a giant puddle in the parking lot that was HUGE and almost taking up the whole lot.

2nd Stop Golds:
- 4 albino cories for 10 bucks hold the GST.
- Rams for 2.99 a piece
- KOI swordfish. Don't recall the price but you have to see these things. Its like something out of the circus. Very cool. Toirtus should pick some up and breed them and sell them at the auctions.
- some Tropheus that was pure black with white dots that probably grows up to be a big ugly fish. But man do they look wicked right now.. On sale for 10 down from 15.

3rd Stop Francos:
- super cool Pike fish.. It was sold and probably needs a 500 gallon tank but man was it pretty cool and worth going and looking at.

4th Stop Pisces:
- Nothing to report fish wise other than a couple of really good looking crowntail male bettas .
- There was a plant that stood out that I have to look up information on and hope that it shows up at a CAS meeting or the Auction.

5th Stop Crowfoot Petland:
- Got to see the new set up / layout. Like the end display tanks and thought it was smart to have fish for sale in them as well as live plants.

Didn't pick anything up but can't get the Rams and the Gourami's out of my head.

I am completely and utterly JEALOUS I KNEW I shouldn't have read this thread!~

I live in Northwestern Ontario. I have Wally World and one LFS that has almost nothing (I don't even bother going there anymore because she only has maybe a dozen tanks and it's always the same fish everytime - guppies, tetras, a few goldfish and that's it). There are 2 LFS and another Wally World an hour and a half away in the next town but at least I can get bloodworms there (that's right, I drive an hour and a half each way for my fish and ADF food). Winnipeg is four and a half hours away and I'm still trying to figure out which LFS' are reliable and which ones aren't and I only get to Winnipeg twice a year! And I'm fairly certain they don't have the number of LFS' that Calgary has.

I'm happy for you guys, really I am, but the JEALOUSY is still there.

Maybe I should listen to my mother and open my own LFS.

You just need to move to Alberta.. According to the paper everyone is anyway...

The little critters were Tropheus duboisii so they grow up and loose their spots... :( Very very cute right now thought

4 rams made it into a bag to go home with me thanks to Albert the Chicken man!!

Now to go back and get the Gourami's at river front during a lunch hour and I can sleep again at night...

Except maybe for the 2.99 really healthy looking golden wonders at Golds.... MUHAHHAH

Mooose

webmoose said:
Ok here is my official (mostly useless) shop report from yesterday:

1st Stop RiverFront:
-25 buck killies... Couldn't do it. Even at 2 for 1 prices I don't think I could do it. Forgot to write down the name to see if they are rare or something. Gardeneri for sure.

Fundulopanchax gardneri 'Akure' ....rather uncommon, at least.

http://members.fortunecity.com/killiejuicer/akure1a.jpg

Back
Top Bottom