Calgary shop report

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Riverfront:

Clown loaches (1½cm-2 cm...the smallest I have ever seen) $6 each
Apisto caucatoides (2cm) $11.99 each
Tongue soles (muey cool...6cm) $12.99 each
Panda corys (2cm) $7 each
Gold tetras (2cm) $2.99 each
Red honey gouramis (3cm) $4.99 each
Jardini arowanas (6-7 cm) $65 each
Wild scalare angels (3-4cm) $16 each
Neon lyretail swords (adults, only males, but very impressive) $6 each

**plus, as a CAS member, you get a 20% discount off those prices**

Pisces:

Transparent knife-fish (10-12cm) $15 each
Big rummynose tetras (about 3cm...really nice) $3 each or 5/$14
Hystrix stingrays $99 each
Dwarf maculatus rasbora (2cm) $3 each or 5/$14
Channa bleheri (6cm) $30 each
Blue paradise (3-4cm, quite nice) $6 each or 3/$17
Big trapdoor snails $4 each or 3/$11
'Stone' cats (1cm...look a lot like Dupouyichthys sapito, or maybe an Erethistidae spp., but I cannot be sure...going to have to go back and look when I have more time.) $5 each or 3/$14

Big swordplants (assorted) 2/$20
Small swords (assorted) $1.99 each
Cryptocorne tonkinensis $2.99 each
Banana plants $0.99 each (but I am pretty sure I snagged the last two)

**(CAS members get 15% off these plant and fish prices)**

drystock on sale at Pisces:

Rena Filstar XP3 canister filter $199
Millenium 1000 HOB filter $19.99
Hagen Master test kit $44.99
Hagen Mini-master test kit $17.99

I couldn't make it to Chums before they closed, so I will hit them tomorrow.

Just to add to the shop report, earlier this week, Big Al's got a fantastic shippment of SW fish. They've got a great assortment, some is overpriced and cheeper at Wai's, but Clowns, dansels and tangs look great and are standard prices.

Petey said:
Just to add to the shop report, earlier this week, Big Al's got a fantastic shippment of SW fish. They've got a great assortment, some is overpriced and cheeper at Wai's, but Clowns, dansels and tangs look great and are standard prices.

Sorry, you could not pay me to take fish from that shop....their track record for sick and diseased fish is the highest in the city.

Not to mention that they put you and your fish keeping skills to question any time you have a return (plus falsifying their test results) i agree with toirtis, however i do have a price. If they gave me a fish PLUS $50,000 i would consider taking one of their fish.

I am in agreement about Calgary's Big Al's. It is digusting. Last time I went in for algae wafers and we peeked at the fish. GROSS I dumped my algae wafers back in the bulk bin and walked out.
orange laser corys
Is that done by selective breeding?

Menagerie said:
I am in agreement about Calgary's Big Al's. It is digusting. Last time I went in for algae wafers and we peeked at the fish. GROSS I dumped my algae wafers back in the bulk bin and walked out.

Good thing, too...their bulk algae wafers are 3x-4x the price of Pisces.

orange laser corys
Is that done by selective breeding?

No, they are a suspected variant of C. aeneus:
http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/callicht/corydora/265_f.php

Beautiful corys (mine and the ones at Chums look like the first picture)...I have a few (and some greens, too)...they were selling for $25 each just a year ago.

Nice cory's ... but my fiancee will kill me if i get any more cory's ... she thinks they look fugly.
Good thing, too...their bulk algae wafers are 3x-4x the price of Pisces.
yup ... isn't everything at al's 4X the price of other places???

Well, I hit everywhere today....Pisces, Franco's, PetLand Sunridge, Gold, Big Al's, Tanks Alot, Riverfront, Chums, Oceans.

Not a lot to report, I am sad to say. Pisces has some nice guppies, crowntail bettas, and Bolivian rams in, Petland Sunridge has a couple of big avocado puffers, Gold has some nice guppies, CT bettas, and discus in (plus a Sagassum frogfish and some great harlequin shrimp), Tanks has nothing much new, Riverfront just got some SA stuff in, but nothing to write home about, Chums has some nice new stands in, and Oceans has some nice corals and undulated triggers.

I came home with a couple of new male CT bettas.

Just got back from Pisces. Not much to report except that everything that had been on quarantine earlier this week is now off and up for sale. As well, it seems that they are going to make a go of resurrecting their marine wall (with all new tanks and equipment, so probably no livestock until at least March).

If you need timers, XSCargo on 32nd Ave NE has GE SurgePro three-prong timers for $4.99 each....this things regularly go for about $18, so its a great deal.

Just so you know ... Picese has a pretty large assortment of very nice looking crowntail bettas for $7.99 (plus our discount) whereas at riverfront i think i saw them for like $15-$20 range.

Back
Top Bottom