Caliban's 46G Dirted Bowfront Evolved

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks again. I think you would be fine. Your tank holds up very nicely. I'm sure you could manage this one too.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I suffer from inability to stick to a schedule. Dosing and checking would not be consistent and it would suffer. My fish are doing good to be fed. But never at the same time. Sometimes 4:30. Sometimes 9.

And while I intend to do a weekly PWC this could happen on Friday, Saturday or Sunday or maybe skipped until next week.

What I have read about Co2 tells me consistency is a huge factor in the success. And I suck at consistency, it gets all used up in the office.

I suffer from inability to stick to a schedule. Dosing and checking would not be consistent and it would suffer. My fish are doing good to be fed. But never at the same time. Sometimes 4:30. Sometimes 9.

And while I intend to do a weekly PWC this could happen on Friday, Saturday or Sunday or maybe skipped until next week.

What I have read about Co2 tells me consistency is a huge factor in the success. And I suck at consistency, it gets all used up in the office.

Sounds like my schedule. Water changes not always on the same day. Fish get fed mostly every day but not always. Same goes with daily dosing. And testing... conditions have been stable so I have tested parameters once or twice this year.
But having the pressurized CO2 (and lights) on timers is the one thing that seems to keep chaos at bay.

Caliban - Tank is quite lush.

That is my schedule to believe it or not. The only thing that NEEDS to remain consistent is the lighting and co2 delivery and since that's all sorted on a timer I don't have to do much. Until it runs out of course.

Sounds like my schedule. Water changes not always on the same day. Fish get fed mostly every day but not always. Same goes with daily dosing. And testing... conditions have been stable so I have tested parameters once or twice this year.
But having the pressurized CO2 (and lights) on timers is the one thing that seems to keep chaos at bay.

Caliban - Tank is quite lush.

Thanks Fresh. Could just so with a touch of colour I think. Reds, orange etc.

Caliban's Dirted 46 Bowfront

Just returned from a week long training course in Hertford. Lovely little town.

I didn't get back till 8:30pm last night and the lights were off. I asked my girlfriend to dose 6ml easy carbo daily until I returned as my co2 ran out before I went.

Lights don't come on till 12 so I thought I'd wait it out to see how the tank has done since I've been away.

The only nutrients available have been from the fish/fish food and the soil.

Puppy got me up at 6:00am so it time to try the battlefield beta. I'll post u pic and discuss any changes once the lights come on.

Here is the tank after I returned

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1473336530.093958.jpg

The downoi needs trimming and replanting which is going to take the most time. Also thinking of removing the swords on the right. They are too large and as a result they are blocking light and flow.

Fire extinguisher is on its way. I'm going to remove both gauges on my co2 regulator and put some PTFE on the threads to halt the small leak I have coming from there.

When the new co2 arrives I'll be doing my first filter clean and serious replant. Any suggestions on plants to replaces the swords?

Caliban's Dirted 46 Bowfront

Get some colour in there ;) something red maybe? Looks good considering u didn't touch it for a week!

Good work with the extinguisher!

30g planted, 90g Oscar tank

Get some colour in there ;) something red maybe? Looks good considering u didn't touch it for a week!

Good work with the extinguisher!

I totally agree I need more colour. Wanted some Aponogeton crispus red but it's out of stock. I don't know if there are many red plants that are not stems. I could luck in to some more crypts but may end up with some more stems just for the Reds. I do like the red cabomba varieties but you've gotta be on top of them constantly.

I totally agree I need more colour. Wanted some Aponogeton crispus red but it's out of stock. I don't know if there are many red plants that are not stems. I could luck in to some more crypts but may end up with some more stems just for the Reds. I do like the red cabomba varieties but you've gotta be on top of them constantly.

I saw a classified listing for some red moss?

I believe it is Red Moss (Caloglossa cf. beccarii). I got some last year from another AA member. It is technically an algae. Supposedly melts easily with glut/excel. Does fine in lower light. SLOW grower. I have it in my shrimp tank (no ferts or carbon source). Was (and still is) harboring string/hair algae. I have a Finnex 24/7 and have it set to the lowest light intensity. It has a dark red coloration.

I believe it is Red Moss (Caloglossa cf. beccarii). I got some last year from another AA member. It is technically an algae. Supposedly melts easily with glut/excel. Does fine in lower light. SLOW grower. I have it in my shrimp tank (no ferts or carbon source). Was (and still is) harboring string/hair algae. I have a Finnex 24/7 and have it set to the lowest light intensity. It has a dark red coloration.

Cheers fresh. Wonder how it looks with co2 injection and higher light?

Listed by Junglefowl here is a screen shot. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1473459405.134324.jpg

Surely a co2 injected high light tank would kill it being a form of algae? Maybe not though. I've been trying to find some ar mini locally but it seems very hard to find. My lfs just stock basic plants like Anubis and Java fern etc. eBay has a big range but after the moss I got brang in a huge range of hair algae I'm abit sus on buying off eBay.

More crypts could be nice I agree. There up there for my favourite plants I recon :)

Surely a co2 injected high light tank would kill it being a form of algae? Maybe not though. I've been trying to find some ar mini locally but it seems very hard to find. My lfs just stock basic plants like Anubis and Java fern etc. eBay has a big range but after the moss I got brang in a huge range of hair algae I'm abit sus on buying off eBay.

More crypts could be nice I agree. There up there for my favourite plants I recon :)

It's looking like crypts. I love swords but I want more open space and they are making life difficult for the downoi.

I pulled half a dozen leaves off and they look better. I changed 50% + water. TDS was only 250ppm. Usually much higher when dosing.

Crypts, Anubias, lagenandra even the downoi look really well despite no injected co2 and sporadic liquid carbon dosing.

Finally cleaned the JBL canister. Done in 20 mins. Not as dirty as I was expecting and threw out virtually no gunk when switched back on like that fluval did.

I've always had the same problem with the fluval's. I swear the gunk holds in the ribbed hose. Used to make a hell of a mess every time I turned it back on

I know. It's a really bad concept with the ribbed hosing. Can't fault the new filter. Great purchase. Water is crystal tonight and not cloudy in the slightest.

I feel a sense of real balance has finally come with this tank.

Looks great for being away.

How about some of the red varieties of Bucephalandra? There are a few which have larger leaves and are taller and many variations of darker reds, blues and purple/reds.

Looks great for being away.

How about some of the red varieties of Bucephalandra? There are a few which have larger leaves and are taller and many variations of darker reds, blues and purple/reds.

Thanks. I never thought about those really. I'll have a look!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom