Caliban's 46G Dirted Bowfront Evolved

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh puff ! I'm 52, read about fishy things on Saturday nights while listening to 80's Rock and having whiskey shots with my hubbie. That coal shed could be a party destination. Lol

But I'm a hypocrite, I dream of a bigger tank be don't want to have to shore up the foundation to handle the weight. We have a wooden subfloor on piers out here in earthquake land.

Maybe someday I'll have a spot on some concrete where I can put a 100 gallon tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Oh puff ! I'm 52, read about fishy things on Saturday nights while listening to 80's Rock and having whiskey shots with my hubbie. That coal shed could be a party destination. Lol

But I'm a hypocrite, I dream of a bigger tank be don't want to have to shore up the foundation to handle the weight. We have a wooden subfloor on piers out here in earthquake land.

Maybe someday I'll have a spot on some concrete where I can put a 100 gallon tank.

From one extreme dilemma to the other, earthquakes and coal sheds....

I hope you fulfil your dream.

We also tend to put ugly, massive brick chimney breasts in the middle of our lounge and dining room which makes tanking difficult.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1470769415.592939.jpg

Then they became redundant and everyone got rising damp.

Things will be better when we move but I still won't be able to handle a whiskey.

Caliban's Dirted 46 Bowfront

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1470771112.528339.jpg

Here's me at Halloween in front of our chimney beast between the living room and kitchen/dining area.

Last edited:
Hmm...Downoi is starting to brown again.

It is not receiving enough flow due to the mass of Amazon swords and nymphoides Taiwan above it. The nymphoides Taiwan may have to go. It pearls like crazy and its growing thicker and denser every day. They say you can measure co2 consumption by measuring o2 production. I can't do that but can I say that the pearling from this plant when no others are (except the sword on the left) is a good indicator of o2 production and thus co2 consumption? If this answer is yes then this plant drinks co2 for fun. Since I can no longer count the bubbles to interpret a bubble rate I think it's safe to assume that adding anymore would just result in a very fast emptying soda stream bottle.

Maybe time for a plant cull.

Thanks plantnoob

I was just about to upload another picture.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1471016840.649352.jpg

Do I cull the swords or remove the carpet?

Since downoi is a stem maybe it has higher co2 requirements and a 'true' carpet plant may be able to handle less?

I like the carpet. The swords look like they could swallow up all the space.

Looks like the swords could use some culling. The carpet looks beautiful! I'd assume your broad leaf plants take in more CO2 easily due to the larger surface area of the leaves and hence more stomata. Overall the carpet's CO2 requirement may be as much as your other plants put together, but it may not be getting as much.

Looks like the swords could use some culling. The carpet looks beautiful! I'd assume your broad leaf plants take in more CO2 easily due to the larger surface area of the leaves and hence more stomata. Overall the carpet's CO2 requirement may be as much as your other plants put together, but it may not be getting as much.

It's tough to say. Makes sense. It's particularly hostile down in the lower regions of tank. Makes me realise why people go up to 15-20x flow rate. There is zero movement on the downoi now. It's definitely starting to look weary.

Where do I even start with those swords ?

Nymphoides sp. Taiwan is the culprit.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1471026502.830806.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1471026518.132730.jpg

Still the tank is so lively.

I need a new tank and a new project but my fish. They're in it for
The long haul and I ain't about to give them up.

Hmm...Downoi is starting to brown again.

Maybe time for a plant cull.

Hope this cheers you up...

pOtybtG.png

Hope they perk up.

So Downoi Jr. Hasn't declined any further. Ironically I think it's because although the Nymphoides sp. Taiwan is restricting flow and co2 availability, it has significantly reduced the light in this area so the requirements for co2 have been alleviated.

The portion of downoi of the left of the picture is greener and in better shape. It's is not suffering from reduced flow and the light is still getting to it.

I haven't dosed anything this week. GSA has come back on the glass despite a dark blue test vial.

Other than the obvious, sufficient co2 and reduced lighting levels (which will help with most types of algae) GSA has a strong correlation with low phosphate levels.

Back
Top Bottom