Caliban's 46G Dirted Bowfront Evolved

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Definitely interesting to see the soil side and how it comes together.

I did wonder on potassium deficiency myself but I tend to blame that on lots of stuff :)

I love this! I've just set up a dirted tank as well, but used Seachem's Onyx instead of red clay for the lower iron content (blue shrimp are apparently sensitive to it). I stab the dickens out of everything in a grid pattern with a knitting needle to make sure air isn't trapped. I probably should check the library for Walstad's book, since she covers everything I should know :oops:

I didn't see much info by way of cycling before adding fish. It's probably covered in the book I didn't read :facepalm: Is a cycle necessary, per se, or is it a matter of doing a bunch of pwc and let nature take it's course?

IMO I would at a minimum run at least one or two types of mechanical media in the canister. Firstly, to keep the impeller clear and, secondly, to provide a means of periodic waste removal. Thorough cleaning of the mechanical media on a regular basis should prevent BB from becoming established in the filter (and keep it in the substrate and other areas).

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I love this! I've just set up a dirted tank as well, but used Seachem's Onyx instead of red clay for the lower iron content (blue shrimp are apparently sensitive to it). I stab the dickens out of everything in a grid pattern with a knitting needle to make sure air isn't trapped. I probably should check the library for Walstad's book, since she covers everything I should know :oops:

I didn't see much info by way of cycling before adding fish. It's probably covered in the book I didn't read :facepalm: Is a cycle necessary, per se, or is it a matter of doing a bunch of pwc and let nature take it's course?

Haha, thanks Laeris. Yes you do need to stab substrate every now and then. I still have bubbles coming up now and then but there is never any odour that would represent hydrogen sulphide build up. Hope it goes well for you. I'm not familiar with your chosen iron source. To be honest. Soil has a wealth of iron already. I added it to increase cation exchange. There are lots of reasons this helps.

IMO I would at a minimum run at least one or two types of mechanical media in the canister. Firstly, to keep the impeller clear and, secondly, to provide a means of periodic waste removal. Thorough cleaning of the mechanical media on a regular basis should prevent BB from becoming established in the filter (and keep it in the substrate and other areas).

Thanks for your comment fresh. The other reason I removed the media is because I didn't want the media to trap waste that would be better utilised and by soil bacteria. It's a difficult concept for hobbyists to understand (not you particularly) what with the encouragement of a 'sterile' environment in today's hobby but with this method, the waste is supposed to collect on the substrate which feeds the plants and the plants in turn keep the water clean. You remove nutrient build up by removing and trimming the plants regularly.

Seems reasonable, in nature plants get carried off one way or the other, more grow and a balance is usually maintained. I'm really glad you don't mind updating, some of us are a few steps behind you and it's nice to have warning before walking off a cliff XD

No different than a stagnate pond brimming with life. . I can dig it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Describes my former shrimp tank somewhat. Shrimp generated quite a bit of waste (I can see that now having them in a bare bottom tank) which resulted in the lower 3/4 of the EcoComplete substrate resembling mud. It was a host for a variety of micro/macro organisms. Was filled with substrate feeding, generously rooted plants (crypts). Moving plants turned the tank cloudy for a day. Was running for about 2.5 years before I broke it down.

I haven't got to the point where I'm not changing water yet. It does take a bit more of a leap of faith. A change 20% every couple of weeks at the moment. Nitrates are up and have been for a while. Fish are ok. We've had so much rainfall lately that every time I do a water change I have to watch the tank for a couple of days. I don't know what they are doing with the water but even pouring it into a glass it goes cloudy and takes a while to settle which has never happened before. Again another reason I removed the media. I want to encourage denitrification by soil bacteria as well as plant utilisation and I will remove water when I can. Going through the mineralisation process sorts this out.

If you have soil that's been laid for a while, the amount of particles that get kicked up diminishes somewhat or so I believe. This is because the bacteria in the 'microzone' (the layer that separates the soil from the overlaying water) produce biofilms which act as a glue. Also, because of the powerful interaction between positive and negative ions the soil particles will settle somewhat more quickly as time goes on.

These ion interactions also encourage flocculation which form Aggregates in the soil. The volume formed by pores, channels, chambers and cracks allows the movement of fluids (air and water) in the soil, providing a favourable environment for microbial activity and facilitating root growth of plants.

Also, encouraging fertilisation at the roots provides plants with a significant advantage over algae.

Carbon is the major limiting factor with this method but soil can easily be used in high tech methods also.

The cardamine lyrata had developed holes. Not holes you would associate with potassium deficiency. More like a melt and its on every leaf. I hope this is temporary and new growth will show soon.

Boo melting! Have you added any fertilizers or something of similar composition to flourish excel?

Boo melting! Have you added any fertilizers or something of similar composition to flourish excel?

No added fertilisers in this tank. I think it may be acclimatising.

Understandable, I hope it grows like kudzu for you! Or was that a curse? ?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

What if you were walking by the tank with your old ferts and had a trip, oops! Spilled a little in there accidentally...

What if you were walking by the tank with your old ferts and had a trip, oops! Spilled a little in there accidentally...

Is that even a thing? I don't think that's a thing.

That's right,accidents happen...

sit in silence...

Is that even a thing? I don't think that's a thing.

Following.
Did you add the fish right away after changing to a dirted substrate? Everything I've read had told me to wait.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom