Caliban's 46G Dirted Bowfront Evolved

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Following.
Did you add the fish right away after changing to a dirted substrate? Everything I've read had told me to wait.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I added them because I had a fully established canister filter and Any excess ammonia would be rapidly consumed by the plants. Ultimately this has led to high nitrates.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Well that makrs me feel a little better because my hob is also fully established also. Guess I'd rather have high nitrates than high ammonia levels. Have you been able to control the nitrate levels?

In a bit of a pickle at the moment guys and gals. I'm thinking that my light is still too low.

The reasons I think this are:

Amazon sword is putting out weak new leaves that are transparent with brown emanating from the middle outwards to the tips of the leaves.
Conversely, the swords in my 19L dirtied are beasts.

Bacopa dropped all lower leaves except the very top two and has started reproducing leaves at the top now it is half way up the tank.

Repens growth has speeded up as it has gotten closer to the light.

Wisteria wilted and died, it showed no signs of recovery yet wisteria I had in a 64 litre and plain gravel too over the tank.

Come to think of it, I've only ever had plant problems in this tank at about 18 inches height and 2 x 25 watt T8 tubes. What do you think? It's the only parameter I haven't considered because I was too bogged down with dirt.

It's super low light man, ready for an led?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well that makrs me feel a little better because my hob is also fully established also. Guess I'd rather have high nitrates than high ammonia levels. Have you been able to control the nitrate levels?

I haven't tried a great deal. Tested 3-4 times and it's been dark red each time. I have been changing 20% water every 1-2 weeks. I'm almost trying to prove denitrification is something that happens in a soil set up but I think time is not on my side now. Saying that, I've done copious amounts of research on nitrate toxicity and not surprisingly my fish show zero signs of distress but it is difficult to tell where exactly nitrates are at. Please don't follow my lead on nitrate toxicity and allow nitrates to go higher than the recommended levels, this tank is experimental and water will be changed immediately if any signs of distress occur. This would be nice if they came down on their own through denitrification but perhaps the substrate redox is too high to encourage denitrification which is a good thing of course.

What are your options? Amazon uk?

Ok I'm on it!

Ok I'm on it!

Thanks man. Prepare for major inflation on uk products. What do you reckon the par is my set up. According to the chart it's pretty much zero at the substrate.

What's the budget? You want low/med light correct? No additives or carbon?

What's the budget? You want low/med light correct? No additives or carbon?

Yeah no additives or carbon. Maybe medium? Low isn't cutting it unless I'm like ultra low.

I haven't tried a great deal. Tested 3-4 times and it's been dark red each time. I have been changing 20% water every 1-2 weeks. I'm almost trying to prove denitrification is something that happens in a soil set up but I think time is not on my side now. Saying that, I've done copious amounts of research on nitrate toxicity and not surprisingly my fish show zero signs of distress but it is difficult to tell where exactly nitrates are at. Please don't follow my lead on nitrate toxicity and allow nitrates to go higher than the recommended levels, this tank is experimental and water will be changed immediately if any signs of distress occur. This would be nice if they came down on their own through denitrification but perhaps the substrate redox is too high to encourage denitrification which is a good thing of course.

That's fine your tank will be my guinea pig per say !

You're ultra low. Are you on ukapps forum? I browsed the leds on amazon and didn't see anything I liked. Think there is some nice dimmable rgb panels over there but I can't fine them.

That's fine your tank will be my guinea pig per say !

Haha well put it this way, I've gone from plant killer to plant grower literally by just putting soil under the gravel in this same tank. The growth I've achieved so far is something I haven't been able to do in the last two years. If I can get the lighting right everything should be good I hope.

Haha well put it this way, I've gone from plant killer to plant grower literally by just putting soil under the gravel in this same tank. The growth I've achieved so far is something I haven't been able to do in the last two years. If I can get the lighting right everything should be good I hope.

I'm so excited but won't be able to dirt my tank fo another 6 months when I move. In the meantime, I am going to research to my hearts delight.

Caliban's Dirted 46 Bowfront

I'm so excited but won't be able to dirt my tank fo another 6 months when I move. In the meantime, I am going to research to my hearts delight.

Excellent :D I was reading about low light problems and I stumbled across light compensation points. This is going to be a long night!

Edit: Saturday nights change when you hit 30.

Caliban's Dirted 46 Bowfront

Btw brook. Juwel who make my tank do the same size fixture with T5 bulbs 35w a piece. Would this suffice?

Edit: only problem is it probably costs more than a LED.

T5 would be ok, high output?

T5 would be ok, high output?

I'm not sure to be honest. I'd they market them as Hi-lite which is their patented jargon. Could mean HO or they could be normal id have to check.

Back
Top Bottom