Callamus worms or Hexitima?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Matt68005

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I have a 29 low tech planted tank with guppies sand/peat moss as a substrate and volcanic rocks, a sponge filter and a HOB power filter. Ammonia test came back negative (yellow) (its a new tank but using cyeled filters) Tanks is set to run about 75-78, depends on how lazy the heaters are.
Ammonia 0<
nitrate 10 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Hardness GH 150 ppm
Alkalkinity 80-100 KH
PH. 7.6
Anyways, I have been having some issue with it lately. I cant see any visible "worms" but some of them are skinny and have stringy poo, and flashing, refusing to eat. Im currently on like my 4th treatment of Metronidazole laced food, as well I have used it in the water and also along with prazipro...
Suffice to say, the last 5 months of medicating these guys has yielded mediocre results at best....so im thinking it may be worms, only ive never seen any visible worms on their vent, but I have seen like a big idk what poo looking thing coming out of the back of them sometimes, cant relly describe it other than they looked constipated. Anyways, I ordered a de-wormer last night benadazole or something, beause im at wits end, Clout does not work, 4 weeklong treatments of metronidazole/prazipro dosent work, I culled about 20 of them when I put them in a brand new planted tank with sand not gravel (hoping to get rid of whatever this gut parasite is) but still, any new fish I get from the petstore have about a 50/50 chance of getting it. Ive fed them peas in between metro treatments, and it seemed to help a little maybe. But the new ones, they take on more acute symptoms of bloating, dis-interest in food and paralysis then death, with red holes on their belly directly post mortum.....does hexitima even do that? But theres no way a worm could spread to their brain and cause septis....so wtf am I dealing with! I have seen no holes in their heads, but their just little guppies I cant really even tell. Im good when it comes to Bacteria/fungus ailments in fish, but ive never ran into anything like this before in 6 years of keeping guppies. Any help would be appreciated. Today or tommrow is the last day of feeding the metro, then im just gonna use the dewormer when it gets here. But honestly, im clueless what this is. :banghead:

How are you feeding or what product are you using to feed the metro? Are you adding any to the water? What temperature is the tank during treatment?

I plugged these symptoms into a web site to try it and got hexamita as most possible (discarded a few that didn't seem likely). I've included the site below for interest as may not of had everything exact and selection choices are a little limited sometimes.

Good luck!

http://www.fishyportal.com/diag/

How are you feeding or what product are you using to feed the metro? Are you adding any to the water? What temperature is the tank during treatment?
It is premade flake food with garlic and metronidazole. I did put it in the water AND feed before, along with prazipro, and all seemed okay for awhile as far as I could tell, but the little ones just didn't get bigger/better, wife got some new fish guppies from the store because I was really losing interest in the hobby, and it seems a few of the little ones still carried it. Sigh, if it is Hexitima, then by god it is indestructible by now. I give up. Woke up looking at my new fancy tank and plants and just thought, I got to start over. The temp stays around 75-78.
Honestly, their liver/kidneys cant handle any more metro. And its definitely building a tolerance to the medicine by now. So today I just put them in the tub with a sponge and heater and some dissolved marine salt, threw them a brine shrimp cube, and im gonna forget about it for awhile.....the tank and everything in it is getting bleached right now and I might get something hardier. We are gonna move here again in the spring, and ive had enough of this fish problem for one year lease. Ive been battling this off and on since may/june. And im a pretty knowlegable guy on fish ailments, just these gut parasites is something new to me, and I have to say their just as bad as columnaris, not because of the speed but how long it hangs around and picks off one fish here and there........sigh. :banghead:

You need to crank the tank temperature, at least 84F, higher if they can tolerate it. 40mg/gallon metro with a daily 50% water change & redose, 10-14 days. This is more common with cichlids, especially discus & angels. Dealing with angels quite a bit metro is one of the few meds I keep on hand. As far as feeding, get some frozen brine shrimp, thaw on a paper towel. Sprinkle some metro on, feed only that for the 10-14 day treatment.

Cool beans tolak. Im gonna deworm them today or tommrow when it comes in the mail with Benadazole. IF that don't work ill get more metro and ill turn up the temp. I didn't think temperature would have anything to do with an internal parasite or worm, And ovbiously i didn't give them enough metro the first time, or its not hexitima but callamus worms. Think im gonna setup my tank again in the living room and get them back in there. Ive FINALLY got money again so i can always pick up more metro, and i do got brine shrimp. Thanks for the info. Dosing metro is so misleading you get so many answers from so many diffrent sources. Its either worms, or i didnt dose high enough the first time with it and they've (the parasites) build up resistance. Fingers crossed.

My De-wormer came today, but didn't bother to use it. Cut open a just-died guppy and looked at the stomach carefully, no worms. Got to be HOTH. Just doesed the heck outta them with metro again. Starting the metro-food again too. Wish me luck. ya right.

Back
Top Bottom