Calling all lighting experts!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dallascowboys16

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, I jut read a thread on TPT about a Finnex elite coming out that can give the same amount of PAR as a BML with the functionality of current. Bryan I know you are up to date on these types of things. Anything to report or any expectations for the Finnex planted+ elite as compared to BML as I planned on purchasing a 72" BML for a 125 I'm going to upgrade but seeing this makes me wonder if I'm better going for the Finnex set to come out this winter or fall. :thanks:

Not sure if people have actually tried this, but you could probably get a reefbreeders LED and do a custom layout. It's like 200$ for a superlux.

If you're not in a hurry and have the will power to be patient, then yes, it would be worth waiting. That way you'll have many options to choose from and wouldn't have buyer's remorse. I actually chimed in on Finnex's sneak peak thread. Lowe did not even respond to my comment/suggestions (when he invited me there). I'm assuming he didn't like me calling them out to give their products a 1 year warranty (not that it needs it). They make great affordable LED fixtures. Mine all lasted well over a year. Just think they should at least align themselves with the competition who all offer better warranties. That's my only gripe.. lol

Ok, awesome. I think I'm going to wait until the finnex planted+ elite comes out. Love the idea of being able to mess with the controls even though it'd kind of gimmicky. Build my Led is pretty expensive for a 72" even though I'm sure the finnex will also come with a price:lol:. If finnex has the light output of a BML, the features of a current led +, and the relatively low price that typically comes with a finnex I think I can wait. No reason to purchase a very expensive piece of equipment and regret it! :thanks:

Yeah, I have. My LFS has them in and I can't really tell what to think about them. I just thought that if I could get the BML for around the same amount I would go for a BML. Any experience with the eco xotic?

Yeah, I have. My LFS has them in and I can't really tell what to think about them. I just thought that if I could get the BML for around the same amount I would go for a BML. Any experience with the eco xotic?

Haha now your going to get Brian going. Im pretty sure Brian absolutely loves the fixture!

Im a bml fan myself

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I honestly like them both. Even so I've never owned a BML, there's enough happy customers and stuff that looks good on paper to equate to an impressive no-frills full spectrum LED lighting system. Only if you're happy with the no frills that is (other than a manual dimmer). Because, IMO, if you factor in a separate controller, if you wanted extra frills, then the e-Series price point, considering what's included with it, becomes more attractive. But every lighting system is not for everyone. So if you weren't impressed with it at the LFS, there's no point to consider it anymore. Spend your hard earned dollars with what your gut is telling you.

I honestly like them both. Even so I've never owned a BML, there's enough happy customers and stuff that looks good on paper to equate to an impressive no-frills full spectrum LED lighting system. Only if you're happy with the no frills that is (other than a manual dimmer). Because, IMO, if you factor in a separate controller, if you wanted extra frills, then the e-Series price point, considering what's included with it, becomes more attractive. But every lighting system is not for everyone. So if you weren't impressed with it at the LFS, there's no point to consider it anymore. Spend your hard earned dollars with what your gut is telling you.

Ok, my gut feeling is that the finnex planted+ elite or the BML XB Series is what will be best for my setup. Leaning towards waiting for the finnex elite to come out. :)

I'm looking forward to your review. I leaning towards the BML myself, but If there's something out there with the same power and have the same "gimmicks" as the current....them sign me up.

I'm looking forward to your review. I leaning towards the BML myself, but If there's something out there with the same power and have the same "gimmicks" as the current....them sign me up.

Isn't that the ecoxotic e series fixture?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Ok, Just saw a press release by finnex from 6 days ago and they're releasing 3 new fixtures this fall!!!:D The Planted+2, The finnex 24/7, and the
finnex planted+ elite! The planted plus 2 is dimmable by finnex app and the other fixtures are as well. Looks wicked bright by the video that Ive seen! Looks like ill have more options that I thought! At MACNA last week BML had a stand so I got to see them in action. Was impressed by the brightness! Meet nick from BML in person and talked with him for a while. Cant wait for these to come out!

Ohh man, they look very nice!! I'll have to use all my self control not buy a new light o don't need:)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

To the OP: the new finnex elite specs are way below the BML specs in terms if PAR, which is critical for your 24" deep 125-gallon tank. Lowe from finnex is reporting under 70 PAR at 18 inches deep. BML is over 100 PAR at 24 inches deep. Depends on your goals and needs...

I have two 125-gallon tanks, so I am in the same boat as you, kinda. I already have a BML in one of the tanks but am looking to replace the Current Marine Orbit LEDs in my other 125G tank. Part of me is considering just getting a few T8 fixtures from Walmart for $15 and save some money. The 125G is so huge there is enough real estate to tile a few T8 fixtures. Heh heh...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

There is no way the new finnex models are charting that low? ? You must have your data mixed up?? I hope anyways. . The ray2 must be close to those numbers as it is..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

See the post from Lowe in TPT forum re: finnex elite. I guess its preliminary data but it is what it is...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom