Calling all Peacock owners. Tank diary.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

molliwopp

Aquarium Advice Addict
Setting up a new tank and want all you peacock and cichlid owners here. Ill be doing a tank diary from start to finish over the next few months.

So i have my tank. A juwel rio 240.

120L x 41W x 55H cm
48" x 16" x 22" inch
65 Gallons

ForumRunner_20130127_134614.jpg

ForumRunner_20130127_134640.jpg

ForumRunner_20130127_134710.jpg

ForumRunner_20130127_134736.jpg

Next pictures of my filter(s)stay tuned.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130127_134914.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130127_134914.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 111
  • ForumRunner_20130127_134955.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130127_134955.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 108
The tank needs a good clean but its in perfect condition without a scratch on it. Next, ill buying another eheim and a 3D background. Everything is needed from substrate to rocks and ill take pictures along the way.

I want advice on some beautiful peacocks so go right ahead and tell me which peacocks you think i should keep. Its going to end up being an all Male tank.

This is going to be a good project.

The tank needs a good clean but its in perfect condition without a scratch on it. Next, ill buying another eheim and a 3D background. This tank is going to be a good one. Stay tuned.
How much GPH is it?
And how many fish are you expecting to stock?

264GPH x2 = 528GPH.
Im looking at maybe 10 Males.
Or maybe 8 with one of the smaller Hap cichlids.

No im just using water to get the most of it. Then when ive drained it ill be using white vinegar and alittle salt.

I love my OB but ruby reds and lemon Jake's are nice as well. Check out livefishdirect.com and browse josh's peacocks and other malawis.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130127_124949.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130127_124949.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 110
Ive been looking around and would like to list afew i like and any info would be good.

Lwanda
Sunshine
Eureka red
Yellow regal
Lemon jake
Ruby red
Ob
Red empress

And then i want to keep a
yellow lab.

Ive been looking around and would like to list afew i like and any info would be good.

Lwanda
Sunshine
Eureka red
Yellow regal
Lemon jake
Ruby red
Ob
Red empress

And then i want to keep a
yellow lab.

A Protomelas taeniolatus "red empress" is a Haplochromines not a peacock if ya didn't already know.

I didnt know that, But thats what youre here for Andy.
I think im now going for a mix. Peacocks and smaller haps.

Ive got a month or 2 to learn before i getvany fish and will study the different peacocks and haps.

Ive been reading OB peacocks are 'man made' and because of this can be quite aggressive. Any thoughts?

Right. If i were to add a coral substrate to my tank or ocean rocks, i know this will raise the ph but how stable will this be? Could the ph drop dramatically if i did a big water change?

Also would the rocks or substrate eventually lose their ph raising properties and need changing?

I didnt know that, But thats what youre here for Andy.
I think im now going for a mix. Peacocks and smaller haps.

It will work with that one. I'd be careful adding haps to that size tank, most get really big.

Ive got a month or 2 to learn before i getvany fish and will study the different peacocks and haps.

Anytime I keep a fish it feels like I'm studying :)

Ive been reading OB peacocks are 'man made' and because of this can be quite aggressive. Any thoughts?

You really don't know till you get one. Sometimes they are more mild and other times the can get aggressive.

Also would the rocks or substrate eventually lose their ph raising properties and need changing?

No it won't

What is your ph? Most Cichlids are tank raised so raising the ph isn't needed. I have rocks in my tank but I don't mess with.crushed coral or anything like that.

Last edited:
Its a God send. Hard alkaline water from the tap:D people would kill for it. I remember cursing it when i wanted to keep discus though.

Back
Top Bottom