Calling all turtul loves need ID!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Ok guys and gals. I was weed eatting my yard yesterday and hit this turtul on the back with the weed eatter. { Don't worries no damage was done to the weed eatter. J/K the turtul was unharmed} Anyway I have looked on the net but can sem to find the same kinda turtul any where. I have narowed it down to one . The ridged back terroaben. { not sure of speeling } Anyway I'm going to be giving him to the local zoo to keep in there turtul habbatat but was stil wondering what kind he or she was.
[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid210/p892670e4322c76e116381ba40a1fbd9a/edfcf31b.jpg

edfcf319.jpg

edfcf31a.jpg

He's about a foot around and the spikes on the shell at the start of the tail are razor sharp. The claws are right at 1'' to 1 1/2'' in size and he's lighten fast. Trust me I hit him with the weed eater and he took of so fast i thought I was seeing things.
He's ate 5 older femle bettas for brackfest this monring. as I have 100's and They was the only thing I knew forsure he'd eat. Any thoughts on the name?

fishfairy said:
lovemybarbs said:
Alligator snapper?? Watch your fingers.

Yeah definitely looks like some kind of snapper to me too.

Ditto. Either your common snapper or an alligator. I don't think that's a regular terrapin, sorry. Don't approach it from the front and be very, very careful when transporting it. I've seen these things snap at passing cars before. They will definitley not mind eating your hand for lunch.

I take my kid to a lake near here that has one living under the dock. It has no fear and will come right up and take the bread from you, but you should jaws slap shut.

Common snapping turtle. Alligator snapping turtles are more rare now and grow up to 3 feet. He looks like a common snapping turtle around 10 years old. Be really really careful, they break fingers for fun.

those things can bite your fingers off!, very agressive turtles, they eat anything that moves, make sure you don't have any pets around it. Regular snappers around here have killed dogs and cats.

I found this beauty in my yard a few months ago. He was huge, so I took some pics and let him go. He was hurt, I think he fell off the bluff.

img_671335_0_862d49e7be1166d242bf6c2abbc65e36.jpg

img_671335_1_8f2d6f9cb5d8c90b7adcda1bd5a6172f.jpg

img_671335_2_73288719a56c97fb9a71cb38daf3631f.jpg

That's no common snapper. We've got plenty of those. I had one for a while and my sister has one. Looks like an alligator snapper to me. That's just a baby too.

Ok guys I took the turtle to the zoo, To be keep in the turtle habatat. The ladies at the zoo said it is what's clled a five toed ridge back alligator closly related to the snaper but totally differnt. It's a indangered spices and because I brought him he his new name is "Leslie five toe Ferguson" There has only been 4 found in the last 7 years. In texas it's been longer. She told me it was more then likly someones pet they found and it got to big to keep so they turned it loss.
He was one bad mother I'll tell you that. I've cought snaping turtles on fishing poles before and they where pussy cats compaired to this guy. He hissed like a snake.
Thanks for you guys and gals help.

lovemybarbs, that one looks like a huge painted turtle. They are illegal to own or bother here in WI because of their status in the wild. Lucky he doesn't look to badly hurt. Nice pictures you got.

Thanks! Yeah, he was pretty cool. We let him go about his business and go into the woods. His wound was pretty small.

Weasel F., good job on taking him to the zoo. You did a good thing.

Very nice work on that turtle rescue mission-glad you still have all your digits. You did a great thing-lucky you're the one that found it! :turn-l:

Weasel F. said:
Ok guys I took the turtle to the zoo, To be keep in the turtle habatat. The ladies at the zoo said it is what's clled a five toed ridge back alligator closly related to the snaper but totally differnt. It's a indangered spices and because I brought him he his new name is "Leslie five toe Ferguson" There has only been 4 found in the last 7 years. In texas it's been longer.

Weasel, I'm so touched that you were able to contribute to the survival of an endangered species. You should be proud. Nice going :)

Thanks guy's and gal's. I'd just like to add. Afte I droped the turtle off at the zoo. I was thanking I had a new hole in my new yard. I asked the kids if they had been playing in the yard where they should have. My Daughter told me it looked like eggs in it. I went out side and looked. This just put it this way. I'm setting here waitting on the Ladie from the zoo. LOL I have about 100 if not more { more then likly more} Turtle eggs in my new lawn. That will have to be dug up. To get the eggs. LOL But hey that's great at least there'll be more of them now. LOL

Yes, please keep us posted. How did it go with the lady at the zoo? Quite amazing.

That's Wonderful. No wonder she was hissing. She was saying - I gotta go watch over the kids!!!!! hehehehehe

Back
Top Bottom