Calling all turtul loves need ID!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good Job Weasel, I have never even seen turtles like that. None of those in Boston!!

Ok ladie's and gents, It's 10:00am central time USA. The ladie from the zoo just left and man was I way way off. We had to dig a whole the size of a 55g drum. { MY NEW GRASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!} Anyway there was close to a thousand eggs. I had no ideal turtles could have that many freaking eggs. It was awsome to see all those eggs. But now I got this whole in my new grass about 3foot across and 2 1/2 feet deep with drit all over my new lawn. LMAO

I know it looks terrible, but if even half of those eggs are successfully hatched then you have done an incredible service toward saving an endangered species. You should feel proud.

I didn't Moma had the camra at work to take pictures of a broking transaxle for insurance. The ladie Kim from the zoo did and she's going to send me some after she get the eggs in a hatchery. And I do feel proud. My 11y daughter is all smailes. She going to be a marine biololagest. Or dolphaine tranner. So she's all smiles about this. The ladie told her she could come and whath them hatch when the time came in two weeks are when they did hatch.

Nice snapper. Good find on the nest, too....that will be a lot of snapper hatchlings. Imagine having not spotted the mother, and suddenly having dozens of snapper hatchlings erupting out on the lawn one afternoon.

Excellent job saving all those cute alli snappers!! They are a very endangered species and you have helped more than you can ever know to save such a wonderful creature from extinction. I wish I couldve been there to see the nest loaded with eggs!! It must have been a truly awesome sight. My brother and I use to keep a baby alli snapper ourselves. We had found him about 6 or 7 years back and he was just a little baby. He had a giant tear from his shoulder down hisfront leg, where a hawk had plucked him from the water and then dropped him in the street. He was only about the size of your common computer mouse. We took him in and cared for him. I named him Gamara from the old japanese monster movie :). We built a little terrarium complete with pond and island for him out of one of mothers good rubbermaid containers. (boy was she peeved when she found out, LOL :p) We fed him worms and minnows from the creek and he healed quickly. He would still carry a hefty scar from his wound for life though. He was then well enough for travel so we took him to the conservation society and they put him in their giant terrarium/aquarium habitat display in the building. He even had his own little name plaque "GAMARA" in front of the display. Awesome! They promised they would keep him until he was too big and then he'd be taken to the St.Louis zoo. I still miss him but at least hes in a place safe from scrying hawks....not that theyd be able to pick him up and fly away with him now!! :)

No kidding! I bet I've seen him! There's a huge one inside the rerp building and some smaller ones out towards the center of the park by the bridge. My son is a big fan because we see one at a lake we go to all the time. The thing is practically trained.

Yeah If you see a big fat one with a scar on one of his shoulders then thats him! Take piccies for me if ya see him! It would be great to know how hes doing. Awww has your little boy given the turtle a nickname yet? Will it eat from your hand? Our Gamara would snapp a big fat worm right out of your hand and somehow know not to bite the hand. Although I wouldnt feed a wild one like that, he might mistake a small childs fingers for another worm. :p Maybe dangle the worm or put it in front of him, Im sure hell gobble it up.

I have to go my lil one wants a drink o water LOL. :)

Well we usually take bread or crackers for the ducks and he comes out and eats the bread. He isn't scared. He will sit there with his nose out of the water and I can look right at him. His shell is probably a foot long, so no, we won't put our hands hear him. His head is as big as the other turles in the water.

I'll look for your turtle. The ones outside stay at the bottom of their water, so I probably won't get that close a look, but I'll try. I'll take pics of what I see. We go like once a month.

Thanks lovemybarbs!! It must be great to get to go to the zoo once a month, I wish I could do that LOL. I live wayyyyyyyy to far away to be able to do that so often. :p Im hoping to be able to go sometime this summer and bring my boys. They are just crazy about wildlife. I cant remember but does the St.Louis zoo have rhinoceros's or seals? Its been a while since Ive been. :) Oh poo my cereal done got all soggy LMAO Im gonna have to dump my mush and get fresh :p Be back in a bit

We had an alligator snapping turtle caught near my folks home a few years back measured over 3 feet in diamter and they estimated his age at about 150. :/

Hey all, I have just gotten phone call from the zoo and there ws 231 newly hatched turtuls. I asked for pictures and she told me I could come out this weekend for a VIP trip throw the zoo and take as many as I like. So guess where I'm going this weekend. LOL

Very neat, you'll have to make sure to take some pictures for us. I just caught up on this thread, and it is quite the interesting read. Glad you found a good home for the turtle(s)

Let's see maybe { Les jr1, les jr2,Les jr3, Les jret 1, Les jret2, LOL I'm to funny I ceack myself up sometimes. LOL ROFL

Back
Top Bottom