Camallanus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lifeoffroad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Okay this stuff is crazy. Its a parasite worm and it sounds like the only treatment that works is the medicine found in dog dewormer. It is unfortunate that this passed through the qt period but it lays dormant for 6 to 12 months. Anyone have any experience in this?

I HATE the Camallanus Worm!!!
I lost two mollies to it the last few months and have one in QT still battling...
I wasn't aware it could lay dormant for 6 mths, although I knew it could take up to 12 wks to appear after initial infestation...
The only thing that helped me was the Dog dewormer-- Safeguard with fenbendazole ... Mixing it in their food and allowing it to soak in before feeding... Note: my fish began to become picky and notice change in flavor of food so told to use garlic juice and mix in also...
I also treated the tank to help prevent reinfestation. I used Tetra Parasite guard..

AA member DRAGONFISH has experience with this and was a wonderful guide for me.
Dragonfish, did I miss anything?

What kind of fish do you have with this?

Well gave them my first dose of safe guard with the fer-something medication and worms still there, howere, last night I checked em and some of the other fish looked like they had one sticking out. So who knows maybe some fell out. The hard part of all this is the fish that has it doesn't want to eat.

Camallanus killed my friend's entire livestock. The whole 20 gallon, minus his ram, wiped. What he did in the last few he managed to expel the parasite from (they died of the stress from that) he obtained large farm animal dewormer. Yes, LARGE FARM ANIMAL.

All I know, I pray they make it out alright.

Trust me, safe gard and jungle won't work here. The fish not eating is the smallest problem. The problem is all of the fish that were in the same tank with the infected fish at ANY point have this parasite. They fall out and I believe it takes five days (may be wrong) for them to die without a host.

Have these fish had contact with any others of yours, and were they bought at your LFS in the same tank from which you bought your fish in the main tank?

When can you be sure the Camallanus is gone for good? My other 3 fish that were in contact still haven't shown any symptoms, yet I treated them all. One died and other is still fighting with fenbendazole

Not sure. For me, when all of the fish were dead and and one month had passed.

It sounds extremely cruel and blunt, but why expose generation upon generation to this parasite?

Also, EXTREMELY IMPORTANT- Tell your LFS they have camallanus immediately.

I told them.... It was Petsmart and they said it isn't transferrable from tank to tank because of how they're set up. I forget how it was explained. It didn't fully make sense though.
Now that I think of it though, that would mean every fish from there would be infected or have possible infestation..
I'm sure they didn't do anything about it, he seemed like it wasn't that big of a deal.
I'm suddenly horrified...

Not sure. For me, when all of the fish were dead and and one month had passed.

It sounds extremely cruel and blunt, but why expose generation upon generation to this parasite?

Also, EXTREMELY IMPORTANT- Tell your LFS they have camallanus immediately.

I have a new main tank and everything new in it. So far all has been well in the new tank. Once my QT is finished with the molly that's in it everything will be gutted.

Absolute BULL! Lol! They run on 300 gallon filters and have like 10 tanks per filter! Lol!

Man, I'm sorry but it is the ultimate way to be sure. 15 Days and after all fish have died and camallanus will be gone.

I'm just grateful I only lost 2 (with one still in QT) and 4 made it out okay without any signs.. Have been through 2 pregnancies in each fish so far since their treatment.
Yea... I guessed Petsmart was full of it.

Please read the article Hholly posted, the original is "An Aquarist's Worst Nightmare".... Do read it.

Anyways, Camallanus will shrink into the fish if treatment that is beneign to it begins taking effect.

It efficiently stows itself away, possibly for months. By that time, it would already have built up immunity and been up and ready for another dose.

I never buy fish from big brand stores, just decor and gravel and such. I have bought 6 fish from Petco. A betta, 2 goldfish, and three platys.

The only survivor is one of the platys.

Needless to say, it goes to show how some petsmarts and petcos, while some are extremely well maintained and full of knowledgable employees, simply fall into a state of denial and continue to sell misinformation and sick fish to customers.

I wonder. How do they sleep at night?

Yeah I have no idea who the main host was. Im pretty sure that this is not going to work. Second dose and the main fish still looks the same. Anyone try paracyde x

Each packet of fenbendazole lasted me about 3 days... 6 feedings... It took a couple of days for the worms to weaken and become faded before dropping off...
Keep feeding :)

Just an fyi on this post. I ordered pure levamisole from a person on ebay and within minutes the worms came out and died.

Lifeoffroad said:
Just an fyi on this post. I ordered pure levamisole from a person on ebay and within minutes the worms came out and died.

Yes. Levamisole is one of the other things I read about. Im glad it worked for you!

Trust me, safe gard and jungle won't work here. The fish not eating is the smallest problem. The problem is all of the fish that were in the same tank with the infected fish at ANY point have this parasite. They fall out and I believe it takes five days (may be wrong) for them to die without a host.

Have these fish had contact with any others of yours, and were they bought at your LFS in the same tank from which you bought your fish in the main tank?

Actually, when used together they are very effective. I had that dreaded worm in two different tanks, at four separate times and came up with a system of using both products that saved what was left of my livestock and killed the worm. With all the infestation times, I only lost 20 fish total out of over 200.

I tried many methods over long periods of time (the worm has one heck of a lifeline and found one that worked, killing the worm within days. Everyone who has followed the advice I've given on my method has had great results.

It is not just the chains that can have this infestation by the way. It all starts at the supplier level. So if your favorite LFS orders from the same suppliers, which some do, you still have a chance of getting infected fish. Since it can take weeks before you know you have an infected fish, I started QTing for months instead of weeks.

Back
Top Bottom