Came Home to a Algea BOOM!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JesseMessykinn

Aquarium Advice Freak
:banghead::banghead::banghead:

So I came home from work this evening, to see my tank Green this time... Not Yellow! Help! Ive Checked my water, every thing Checks out safe. The Tank is well established, Last Moving set up was just about a year ago. I Really think its my Light. Ive Recently added a new fixture, went from 38 Watts(Via 2Fixtures) to 48watts(Via t5HO).

Tank is a 29 Gallon, so my light is Say 15 Inches from bottem of the tank. With few plants. Moneywort, Java Fern, Windelov Fern, and dwarf babytears.

This is the first Algea boom since the new fixture. Im sure its Natural, since my light been on for neat 10 hours a day. I will be getting a timer for it Real soon.

Im Just wondering some advise to help with the algea boom. I did a 50%PWC and going to leave light off for a day or so. Will This hurt my plants?

One last question, ive just added my blue pearl shrimp, all Still young. Im looking for a Good liquid fert that will not hurt them?

Thanks a Ton!

:fish1:

Yep. You've got too much light IMO. Blackout the tank for a couple of days. Your plants will be fine. Try to only have your lights on for 6-7 hours a day and see if that makes a difference.

Thats what commonly happens in non-co2 tanks with T5ho. IMO, either invest in a pressurized co2 tank, or find a way to reduce the light. If you just blackout, you'll kill the algae, but it will soon be back.

And all liquid ferts should be fine for the shrimp, but take it easy with excel if you decide to go that way.

Water changes are good for plants. To more is more for them. I am about to upgrade me lights. I plan to cut photo time way back and build back up so plants start to grow to match light and nutrients to help prevent algae bloom.

Dont black the tank out its annoying, and like Aqua chem said it will come back in a few days and is really bad for your plants. Instead buy a magnet scrubber :D Theres a rough surface in the tank and outside the tank is the handle i love mine so much! :D

I think he has green water. Not on glass growth. Pwc like a 50% will help and some smaller ones for a couple days combined w shorter light time will keep excess nutrients down.and.kill off algae. Getting co2 to plants during photo will let them out compete algae.

Blackouts are not particularly bad for plants just like fasts aren't bad for fish. As long as they are not frequent, the macroorganisms will always beat out the micros.

It's like a rainy day, little or no sun, but the tree don't die... Extreme example I am aware...

Nice. Gratis now.just keep photo time down around 6-8 for a while...

Back
Top Bottom