Can a betta survive?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm planning to upgrade to a 2.5 gallon if the one gallon just DOES NOT work out for him, so don't yell at me for having a one gallon. I will also upgrade if this tank proves to be too hard to cycle.

There are certain aspects about FW that make it different such as the ability to use tap water, you can use a much larger variety of substrates and the quality of water is much more forgiving. Personally, I think that you'll upgrade. You'll see a bunch of cool plants or something and need them in your tank and upgrade;) That's just my thought and feel free to prove me wrong! Good luck with the 1g, and make sure to post pictures!

Can I at least have a floating moss ball? Supposedly you don't need the under gravel filter. Is that true?
Yeah of course you can. The plants that you have depend on the lighting. I bet that you won't have the best lighting starting out so I high recommend java fern-they're probably my favorite aquatic plant. Are you going to plant your tank? If so then you probably shouldn't have the under gravel filter. I'd stick with a small sponge filter or something like that. It doesn't cost much, doesn't move the water too much, but still provides ample amount of filtering!

And it's no problem:) That's why we're all on here!

I know your not a beginner :p but it might be worth your while checking out the beginners guide to fresh water in the articles section on the main site. There are other articles on plants, decor, etc also.

I have a Betta in a 1 g. It's unfiltered but I change the water every couple of days. He's been swimming around in that thing for 2 years now. He has his skull that he hides in and plays " I'm gonna stalk you around this room till you get out!" game with me. Do I recommend it? of course not. Bigger is always better. He's just a grumpy fish that likes his territory.

I'm in the process of doing one as well. It is not as bad as people claim. I just don't like looking at an empty aquarium and I test and water change daily. It's not that bad if you keep up on it.

Though once you cycle for that fish, you're going to have a mini cycle whenever you add more. And only add 1-2 at a time so your filter can adjust to the bioload faster. Less stress is key.

Though once you cycle for that fish, you're going to have a mini cycle whenever you add more.

This is actually incorrect. Once a tank is through the initial cycle there should be enough bacteria to compensate for any minor changes (new fish). The key is to take it slowly. Never double the bioload while adding fish and wait at least two weeks before adding anything else. If you take your time there will be no mini cycle.

To the OP. I think fish in cycling makes sense here. The betta is sitting in a small container in its own filth. There would be no reason whatsoever to leave him there while attempting a fishless.

LOL Two different sites tell me two different things about fish in cycling. Guess its just take it slow like I initially said. Aquarium keeping isn't an exact science I suppose.

Back
Top Bottom