Can a betta tank be too big?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NigelK8485

Aquarium Advice Addict
Currently I have my betta in a ten gallon tank by himself. I have gotten sick of the scape and want to start doing live plants with him, I have a ton in my 150 that I could start trimming and replanting. However, I don't want to go buy a new light for the ten gallon and really just don't want to put money into this. I do have a spare 45 gallon, 36x13x24, and have a million 36" lights that I could throw on there to sufficiently grow plants.

I've heard too big of a tank can stress them out, not so much worried about that. I am worried about the 24" height though with him.

So any thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Don't know about the stress, that's interesting. I do know that my betta was bored being alone. The tank I purchased him for only had a bumblebee nerite...betta would stare at the snail, give up, then go hide in the plants. I moved him to another tank with rili shrimp and green rasboras, a completely different fish!

I know not all bettas can get along with other fish but if he's going to be in a larger tank maybe consider tankmates?

I had a betta in a 56 gallon with my rainbows and he was really happy. Then I moved him to my 20 gallon with zebra danios, glass fish, and another betta! They never bothered each other.

I thought about trying tankmates when I upgrade him. I had to temporarily put my mystery snails in his tank every time either of them would attempt to move my betta was over there flaring and trying to bite them. Mine is a jerk. Maybe with it being quite a bit larger and more plants he will allow it.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Interesting, mine ignores the mystery snail in his tank. And he's also in a 10g.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Back
Top Bottom