Can a skimmer be too small?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nijoe1221

Aquarium Advice Regular
I currently have a 29gal tank and purchased a skimmer that's good up to 65gal. I wanted to upgrade in size to either a 55 or 75 and go partial reef. I've been holding back from the 75 because of the size of the skimmer.

Here's the question. If I basically have the bioload from fish and a few corals for a 55gal but in a 75 gallon tank, will it be safe to keep the same skimmer?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Coralife super skimmer 65. I understand it's not even close to the best thing out there, but it's all I have for the now.

IMHO you want a skimmer that's going to be rated for 1.5-2x the tanks volume

IMHO you want a skimmer that's going to be rated for 1.5-2x the tanks volume

Would it be ok if I kept the 75 as a FOWLR tank for now and maybe 1 anemone, a torch coral and a couple small softies like 6 months later? Or would I still need an upgraded skimmer

IMO, the number and type of fish are going to dictate what skimmer will work. FOWLR does not need water as clean as reef, but you are adding some corals, so you are going to need fairly clean water. Remember that water changes can help keep parameters in check too.

I currently have a 29gal tank and purchased a skimmer that's good up to 65gal. I wanted to upgrade in size to either a 55 or 75 and go partial reef. I've been holding back from the 75 because of the size of the skimmer.

Here's the question. If I basically have the bioload from fish and a few corals for a 55gal but in a 75 gallon tank, will it be safe to keep the same skimmer?

I moved all my stuff from 60 gal to 150 gal and I never had a problem. I did not add any additional LR but I used new sand for my substrate. Your skimmer may be too small if your bioload is at max. I have to turn off my skimmer for several days to maintain my nutrients needed by corals. Based on my parameter, I now have to do pwc once every 3 weeks. One thing to consider for LR effective filtration is placed them in such a way that they are separated by water that is free to circulate so it can feed beneficial bacteria and remove extra nutrients. Those spaces between LR also serve as caves for fish to hide or maneuver from aggressive ones. You can add more LR later or upgrade skimmer when you decide to add more fish or corals in the future.

I moved all my stuff from 60 gal to 150 gal and I never had a problem. I did not add any additional LR but I used new sand for my substrate. Your skimmer may be too small if your bioload is at max. I have to turn off my skimmer for several days to maintain my nutrients needed by corals. Based on my parameter, I now have to do pwc once every 3 weeks. One thing to consider for LR effective filtration is placed them in such a way that they are separated by water that is free to circulate so it can feed beneficial bacteria and remove extra nutrients. Those spaces between LR also serve as caves for fish to hide or maneuver from aggressive ones. You can add more LR later or upgrade skimmer when you decide to add more fish or corals in the future.

Thank you! I have another questions by you saying I "can add more LR later". Does that mean i should wait or is it a good idea to do it now. LR can reduce my bioload correct?

Thank you! I have another questions by you saying I "can add more LR later". Does that mean i should wait or is it a good idea to do it now. LR can reduce my bioload correct?

I would get all the rock in before you start stocking. Adding rock/changing the scape with fish in can stress them out badly. LR won't reduce your bio load but it will increase your bb population making your system more stable.

I would get all the rock in before you start stocking. Adding rock/changing the scape with fish in can stress them out badly. LR won't reduce your bio load but it will increase your bb population making your system more stable.

Ok that makes sense. Now how soon should I wait before adding the fish? Is there going to be a whole new cycle since it's a new tank but most of the same equipment and rock? Or will it be safe to add the same day?

No way to tell, how did you cycle the tank? I would test daily (starting about 12 hours after the rock goes in) so you can see what's going on in the tank. It may cause a small cycle (or large depending on how you cycled originally) it may not cause anything depending on the type of rock you add.

Skimmers help clean the water. If the water is cleaned in some other way, or with other ways in conjunction with a skimmer, then you'll be fine. It's all about the water quality. You don't have to use a skimmer at all, as long as you can keep the water clean somehow.

Your old LR are already full of beneficial bacteria so you do not need to cycle your tank. It is important to use a new substrate to avoid the spike from old substrate. Just seed the new sand with couple of cups from old sand without mixing it. Just pour the whole cup slowly on top with minimal disturbance forming a mound so that import of bb and other miniature life forms are done smoothly. The new sand will be inhabited with BB gradually with no spike. If you are adding base rocks then that is another story. You need to cycle them on a separate container before putting them in the tank. Do the aqua scaping at the shortest time possible to minimize stress to your fish.

Back
Top Bottom