can a tank without a filter be cycled ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joannde

Aquarium Advice Addict
One of my betta's lives in a 2.5Gallon unfiltered tank in the kitchen. The tank includes Java Moss (about the size of golfball when compressed). This tank gets VERY little light, except when the kitchen light is on, which isn't all that often (maybe 2 hrs a day). The rest of time he gets normal room light, but since my windows are coated with a UV / Hurricane coating the lighting is rather dim.

This guy is a bit particular about how long his pellets soak before I feed him - if they're too soft he spits them out, so I know there's some decaying pellet parts in there. I normally change 50 - 60% of his water every two days (last change on Thursday) and yesterday took readings before I was going to do the water change.

Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates >5 but < 10 (tap water tests 5ppm for nitrates).

When I saw the ammonia and nitrite readings I thought the java moss was keeping his tank parameters in check by using the nitrogen in the ammonia. But when I saw the nitrate test it got me wondering.

So - whats up here ? Is his tank actually cycled ?? Are the every other day water changes providing enough aeration to keep the good bacteria alive ? Or is it the java moss providing aeration ??? Or do the good bacteria not need aeration as much as I thought ?

Yes you can cycle without a filter. Every surface in the tank becomes home to nitrifying bacteria, and as long as there is some water movement, they will do their job. The bioload is vey light, and you are changing a lot of water, so, the setup is working.

Interesting - I always thought they needed quite a bit of water movement. Other than the water changes the only movement is the swimming betta.
It works - its not broke - and I'm happy :)

Yep. where there is ammonia, there will be nitrifying bacteria. Just glass walls does not provide a lot of surface area. Toss in a few beads or gravel for substrate, and you have increased the surface area of your betta tank. Even your java moss is extra surface area, and most plants can utilize ammonia easier than nitrate as a nitrogen source.

Nitrification is more efficient if the surface area is large and the water flow is large, hence the design of modern canister filters with very porous (high surface area) media, and tons of water flow through it. But it will take place without these benefits, just not as efficiently.

Thanks Tom. He has a ceramic cave and a few large rocks, so those are providing surface area too. His little 2.5G tank is pretty well decorated LOL. Here's a pic of some of the decor, and Spot.

Attachments

• spot_1aug06_b_222.jpg
    spot_1aug06_b_222.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 38
Spot looks very happy!

I was looking in your gallery. You really should consider selling some of your ceramics. I think you would make a killing!

Verucaproduce - thank you so much ! I was actually wondering if I should try selling the ceramics also. I like the fact that they're functional for our little fishy friends. I make custom italian photo charms so I already have the accounts and processes set up to sell via the internet. Just think - I might be able to have a partially self funding hobby LOL (I KNOW I'd never make as much as I could spend on this hobby no matter how many ceramic pieces I made ! LOL).

And thanks for the compliment on Spot. I try to do the best I can for my guys.

Back
Top Bottom