Can an understocked tank affect parameters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

germanyt

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 25 gallon planted but it only has a 2 inch cichlid and an African dwarf frog in it. I'm concerned that the fish won't produce the ammonia necessary for my bacteria. Do I need to add more fish or dose ammonia? Or will it be okay?

That sounds ok. Most people add only a pair of danios or hardy fish species with a low bioload. What species of cichlid is it.

That cichlid (a mbuna of some type, if I remember correctly?) will definitely grow to have quite a bioload once it's mature - however, that is slow enough of a process that the bacteria should be able to adjust fine. Currently, there might not be as much bacteria as there would when you finish a fishless cycle, however that is to be expected - the biofilter will adjust to the tank's bioload.

That sounds ok. Most people add only a pair of danios or hardy fish species with a low bioload. What species of cichlid is it.

That cichlid (a mbuna of some type, if I remember correctly?) will definitely grow to have quite a bioload once it's mature - however, that is slow enough of a process that the bacteria should be able to adjust fine. Currently, there might not be as much bacteria as there would when you finish a fishless cycle, however that is to be expected - the biofilter will adjust to the tank's bioload.

I actually got rid of the mbuna (white tailed acei). It was 4-5 inches long. The lady at Petsmart who gave it to me told me she wanted it if I decided it wasn't a good fit for my tank. Day after day I was replanting my telanthera and wendtii and a few days ago it pulled up 4 plants and tore my marimo ball to shreds so I decided to take it back to her. I now just have a 2 inch electric yellow. I hope it doesn't turn out just like the acei because I really love the color of it.

img_2546411_0_0bd78e8e82d4c7135918316ba1381910.jpg

Back
Top Bottom