Can anemones have parasites?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bdk

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My carpet anemone seems to have some sort of parasite. They are clear with big white eyes, they move around and are on the exterior of the anemone. Please help, can't find anything on this and I really want to help my critter! It's the two little white dots literally in the middle of the picture, also a few more off to the left. Thanks in advance guys!
DSC_0004.jpg

are you sure these things are hurting the anemone? there are many creatures that have a symbiotic relationship with other creatures that have good defense mechanisms, like the sting of anemones.

I've never heard of it, but it could be an isopod is they have big eyes. Those can usually be predatory to fish. I looked at the picture but couldn't see anything much. I could see the white dot you were referring to but I couldn't see clearly what it could be.

isopods have black eyes though. do they look like this close up?
isopod_eyes_600.jpg

Doug: That's true. Isopods normally have black eyes. I was just throwing an idea out there and I couldn't think of anything that would be on a carpet nem with eyes that large. Most things that end up on a carpet nem end up eaten. They have a pretty good stick and are crazy sticky.

I'm not sure what they are either but I agree with Doug that there are a lot of things that can live with and on an anemone that benefit the anemone. From what I see in the pic your carpet looks pretty good I wouldn't stress out unless it is showing signs of distress.

I can make out the eyes and *kind* of make out an outline of a body... but it's camouflaged pretty darn good. Which leads me to guess nudibranch. They do an awesome job of blending in to whatever it is they live on/around.

Doug: That's true. Isopods normally have black eyes. I was just throwing an idea out there and I couldn't think of anything that would be on a carpet nem with eyes that large. Most things that end up on a carpet nem end up eaten. They have a pretty good stick and are crazy sticky.
i assumed you knew this already. i was just posting that for anyone else reading. ;)

They look kind of like an isopod, but the eyes are definitely white. They look like they are gnawing on the tentacles. And as of now she's almost folding over where they are mostly located, making me believe they are bothering her. Tried to point a powerhead towards her to blow them off, but no luck. I wish we could find out what they are, she is a pretty little anemone!!!

grab one with some tweezers and isolate it in a cup or something and take some really good pictures of it.

I tried that too, but she sticks to the tweezers before I can grab one of those little critters! I'll give it another shot!

So managed to get one off, they really stick on there well. There's NO way my camera can get this, it's like a pin head and transparent. It's hard to see with the naked eye, but it looks like a horseshoe crab without the spine. They are not really soft, but not super hard either, kind of like a roly poly. Hopefully this helps!

After being removed do they move much on their own?

I'm really interested in this as I have never even heard of something like this. Carpet nems pack a good sting and most things that get on it end up as food

Well....... I think I end up squishing them when I pull them off....... she's extremely sticky! :p I'll keep looking around online, but there isn't much :/

i would wait and see what they do. i have a feeling they are using the anemone as protection and are not hurting it. as long as you don't see the anemone failing, i would leave them for observation.

Back
Top Bottom