Can Any Type of Livebearer Interbreed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbarr

Aquarium Advice Freak
As in, could a Platy with a Molly?
Platy with a Goodeid?
Guppy with a Platy?

Any sort of combo like that? I know it could result in some freakish hybrids, but I think it could be interesting, with the right choices...

Any info helps, TIA

I've read that platys and guppies can interbreed, creating sterile hybrids. I've only recently started keeping the two together, and I haven't had any fry drop yet. If you wanted to increase the odds, only keep male guppies with female platies, or vice versa. Take pictures if you manage! :)

Mine have never interbred although I suppose it is possible. Do I think it would be right to try and breed two different species of livebearer's, no I don't think it would be right. I have kept mollies and guppies together in tanks for a while and never had any interbreeding. But I also have always had either all one sex or some of both sexes of both species.

I believe your best bet would actually be Mollies and Platies/Swords. I also think that if these two species occur together in the wild, it is ok. But if they do not, why create a mutant? Would you consider it ethical for a man and a chimpanzee to interbreed? We are of the same genus.

Yes, as I've been bringing the thought up in my head every once in a while recently, I concluded breeding strictly Guppies is what I'm mostly interested in as of now.

I suppose the reason I really asked is because I have a female Red-tail Splitfin (Xenotoca eiseni), a Goodied, and I was pondering breeding it with a male platy of sorts...

Breeding a molly with a guppy is hardly the same moral dilemma as breeding humans with other apes. More like how mules are created by interbreeding donkeys and horses. In any event, it wouldn't be introducing some new, mutant, invasive species, as the offspring would be, in all likelyhood, sterile. And how do you think a lot of the fish strains that we all have in our tank were created? If not through interbreeding, then through severe inbreeding. Inbreeding isn't seen as a moral taboo among fish, cats or dogs, just people. Another example of how you can't apply human morals to the animal world.

MyCatsDrool said:
Would you consider it ethical for a man and a chimpanzee to interbreed? We are of the same genus.
humans and chimps are in the same genus?

so are we now Pan sapiens or are chimps Homo troglodytes?

SeanMurphy, you're right, it's very different circumstances, but you speak of animalia inbreeding as a bad thing? It was my understanding that animal inbreeding was a way of concreting certain genes, whether dominant or recessive. As I type this though I see what you mean, it's very unnatural, but thus is the nature of selective breeding, harmless compared to interbreeding.
If human inbreeding was a way to perfect certain traits and build upon our existing DNA structures, beleeeive me, people would be inbreeding like crazy. But that's not the case.

I am no longer entertaining the thought of interbreeding livebearers, nor was I seriously ever. What with my excursions into guppies, I decided I'd rather wait for another Goodied to come around here.

(PS - JDogg touche. Oh, also do you know of any lfs that carry goodieds around here?) Sorry guys :lol: ! Back to the ethics of genetics!

Animal inbreeding happens, especially in smaller, isolated populations. However, there are centuries of inbreeding for most pet animals. White lab mice, for example, might as well all be the same mouse, for the amount of genetic variation there is. This makes them the ideal test subject, as you have a homogenous population to test on. However, this level of inbreeding among other animals, dogs for example, make for a lot of problematic pets, originally bred for one purpose, but now in the general pet field.

German shepherds, for example. Bred to be working dogs who, more often than not, died as soon as they were no longer useful as workers and had passed on their genes (if they were good dogs). Now, as a pet you have enormous vet bills as they get old because of all the hip dysplasia problems that are a genetic flaw of the breed due to the inbreeding to get the breed in the first place.

This goes all over the place. Greyhounds have terrible neuroses, exotic cat breeds are likely to be mean or sickly, etc. There are a few examples of purebred animals that one could argue the benefits gained outweigh the problems created, of course, but they also tend to be the animals that live short lives. Cattle breeds, for example. No one cares if a Jersey cow is prone to back problems late in life. They're just used for dairy and calfs until they're too old, then its off to the dogfood factory.

My original point, believe it or not, was that many livebearers were all the same species before we started mucking around in the genomes to create sunset platies, swordtails, veratus, etc, etc, etc. If nature sees fit to allow them to interbreed, then good on them. If their offspring is viable, then chances are they're mostly the same species anyway. If it isn't, then there's nothing to worry about. Its not like a guppy and a platy are going to create some horrible, eight mouthed abomination that's living in daily pain.

Back
Top Bottom