Can anybody identify these two plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

freshwaterluis

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, can you guys identify these two plants? What are their requirements?

1) I got this plant at PetLand because my girlfriend liked it, but the guy at the store could not identify it. It seems to be doing better in my tank because of the new green leaves and because it is giving out small bubbles (oxygen?).

18916-albums264-picture1650.jpg

It closes up its leaves at night, and opens them back again when the light comes back on.

18916-albums264-picture1651.jpg

2) This one came in with some moneywort I got at PetSmart. It must have been floating when the girl took the other one. Anyways, it has grown some roots, and possibly a runner. It has been a really slow grower, and most of its leaves are dark green (I think its algae). I tried cleaning it with my finger tips but it is stuck and a piece of a leave came off.

18916-albums264-picture1652.jpg

Sorry the picture is not more clearer on this last one but all the lower part of the aquarium has algae.

Thanks,

I agree that the first is probably Wisteria. Can't see the second one well enough to take a guess.

they nailed the first one.... pull the 2nd out out of the tank to get a better pic.

Second one looks like algae covered dwarf harigrass. Maybe see if a snail can clean it up for you.

Thanks for the responses.

The leaves on the first one seemed different from the common wisteria (Hygrophila difformis), I guess it is a variation.

On the second one, you guys are right, it is a dwarf hairgrass. I went to PetLand and saw some dwarf hairgrass on a pot and got a chance of seeing an individual plant which is extremely similar to the one I have (minus the algae). Unfortunately, it has not grown very much, I think the blackish algae blocks its light, I cant take it off, and my snails/plecos/otos wont touch it, lol. Any ideas on how to make it grow into a nice carpet?

My setup is:
20 gal + 80 Watts compact fluorescent + DIY C02 (1 bubble every 10 secs, put small amount of yeast to reduce rate wasted bubbles) + C02 diffuser (approximately 90% efficiency)
Thanks,

How do you test for CO2 concentration? 0.1 bps is pretty low for that much light. My 28 gallon tank is running @ 1.0 bps with less light then you have.

How long have you had these plants?

How do you test for CO2 concentration? 0.1 bps is pretty low for that much light. My 28 gallon tank is running @ 1.0 bps with less light then you have.

Actually I find that bps is absolutely no measure of the amount of CO2 being injected. I'm probably injecting 0.1bps (or less) on my aquariums and achieve WELL over 30ppm. It's definately much more important to find out the actual CO2 levels, as bps is meanless from aquarium to aquarium due to the differences between setups.

Wisteria does look very different under different lighting levels. To get the very fine pinate leave that you generally see pictures of in books, etc. you must have it in a high light setup. Under lower light conditions the leaves tend to be a lot less frilly.

Back
Top Bottom