Can anyone ID(pic)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AutumnPine

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Here is a pic of what i think is some kind of tube worm. can anyone confirm. if so, what kind? thanks

Attachments

• picture_015_106.jpg
    picture_015_106.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 601
Aren't hydroids little jelly fish that stick to the glass? No matter. From the pic it looks like it may be aiptasia. I can't tell for sure from the pic.

almost positive its not aiptasia. I've had aiptasia in my tank and this looks absolutely nothing like it. these are not growing rapidly like aiptasia does and they do not retract into my live rock when i touch it.

Im sure that's not aiptasia. I have those too. They look like tubeworm. They have a hard tube and the "tentacles" look like aiptasia's tentacles but smaller

They have a hard tube and the "tentacles" look like aiptasia's tentacles but smaller

Don't they retract when you/fish move by?

That looks like aiptasia to me, but I could be wrong.

They do look like a type of colonial hydroid to me. If they are, they will flourish in high nutrient tanks. They can be controlled through water changes and time. HTH

The tubes on these do not retract at all and is also hard. The tentacles look more like a single layer of hairs than they do tentacles and that is the only part that retracts when you touch them.

dorian965 said:
they do look a little big for hydroids though.?

Good point but it's hard to tell with nothing to compare them to but the rock background. :?

They really arent that big at all. the largest one is maybe half an inch long. the diameter is maybe one eighth of an inch, with the hairs being maybe a quarter inch.

Im very postive they are hydroids. I have both small featherdusters and hydriods in my tank. I can differenciate them easily ;)

Back
Top Bottom