Can anyone ID these please?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brenno031

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can anyone please tell me what these are? The items in Pic. 1 are about 1/4" in diameter when open, they close when the lights are out. Pic 2 & 3 are of the same item, but it seemed to have grown another 4 "thingies" overnight and is about 1/2" long.
Thanks.

Attachments

• ITEM1.jpg
    ITEM1.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 338
  • ITEM2P1.jpg
    ITEM2P1.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 323
  • ITEM2P2.jpg
    ITEM2P2.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 336
I agree the first looks like palythoa, but the other two look like they could be sponges to me. Do they expand and retract with the light, or stay the same size all the time?

The second 2 pics are of the same thing, I was showing how it grew. My cameras not much good when taking pictures of my aquarium(s). I've been watching it for a couple of weeks, then all of a sudden it grows an extra 4 "fingers", or whatever they are.... But since then, its grown significantly in size. It stays open during the night, when the moon lights are on. It does flatten itself against the rock and close itself that way if one of my fish get a bit close and touch it, or even if I accidentally close the cabinet door too hard. Any special care for the palythoa?

I've noticed another one on another rock. But this the first one has grown more since my last post. Picture follows. Does anyone out there know what it is?

Attachments

• Little Thing.jpg
    Little Thing.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 178
I agree with tunicate. I couldn't think of it, for some reason I kept searching sea squert... Palythoa are relatively easy to care for. Medium lighting and water flow.

Back
Top Bottom