Can fish eat frog food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mayka

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have unused frog food, and no frogs. I have platies and corydoras - can these fish eat frog food? It's an all stages frog and tadpole food, I don't have it near, it's in the garage somewhere with fishing stuff so I can't find the ingredients right now. Can they eat it. What ingredients should I check for that they shouldn't eat?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok i managed to find it this morning, obviously this wouldn't be their main diet but the have to off the seaweed so I thought they might like something new to replace it once a week.
Ingredients
Fish Meal, Soybean Meal, Fish Oil, Wheat Flour, Corn Gluten Meal, Lecithin, Ligin Sulfonate, Monosodium Phosphate, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate, Riboflavin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Biotin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Follic Acid, Vitamin A Supplement, Manganese Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Potassium Lodate, Propionic Acid (Preservative), Ethoxquin (Preservative).

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (min.) 50.0%, Crude Fat (min.) 16.0%, Crude Fiber (max.) 3.0%, Moisture (max.) 11.0%, Ash (max.) 11%, Phosphorus (P) (min.) 1.0%.

It reads ok and if still unopened should have kept.

Food ingredients are a bit blah either way in terms of known quality. I'll see if I can post ingredients from mine later. For example, fish meal could mean lots of things.

I think the main concern is the fish meal (and any other meal type) could be anything. It's not bad, but not that great. We don't really know. Looking at the ingredients I would take a stab and class it as mid-range.

I've copied in the first lot of ingredients from the fish food I now buy. It is a bit more expensive though. The link I found was Australian so ignore prices, it would be cheaper in US.

But you can see that "whole" is mentioned quite a bit which means the entire food type is in there, not just leftovers unwanted from something else.

New Life Spectrum Thera A+ Regular 250g - 1mm

Ingredients: Whole Antartic Krill Meal, Whole Herring Meal, Whole Wheat Flour, Algae Meal, Beta Carotene, Spirulina, Garlic, Vegetable and Fruit Extract (Spinach, Red and Green Cabbage, Pea,Broccoli, Red Pepper, Zucchini, Tomato, Kiwi, Apricot, Pear, Mango, Apple, Papaya, Peach), Vitamin A Acetate,

Also the link below is a great read. Hope this helps.

Fish Food Ingredients

Thanks after looking at their regular flakes it appears that they aren't much different, I think next time I buy food I will look at the ingredients a bit more. It appears my dog food is way better quality than my fish food. I guess I never knew what to look for in fish food. :(

I know what you mean. Some of the local cichlid breeders helped me here and it was all bit of an eye opener!

I thought I was doing ok and knew not to buy in bulk where it would just go stale before use and not buy the really cheap food, but I'm finding the quality difference between mid-cost and high-cost quite a bit.

I do mix it up a little with frozen brine shrimp as well. Which should help keep them regular and give them variety. Think they eat better than I do.

I ask on another forum but just wanted to get a different opinion as they just told me it was ok. They didn't say what was good or bad.

Ok i managed to find it this morning, obviously this wouldn't be their main diet but the have to off the seaweed so I thought they might like something new to replace it once a week.
Ingredients
Fish Meal, Soybean Meal, Fish Oil, Wheat Flour, Corn Gluten Meal, Lecithin, Ligin Sulfonate, Monosodium Phosphate, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate, Riboflavin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Biotin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Follic Acid, Vitamin A Supplement, Manganese Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Potassium Lodate, Propionic Acid (Preservative), Ethoxquin (Preservative).

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (min.) 50.0%, Crude Fat (min.) 16.0%, Crude Fiber (max.) 3.0%, Moisture (max.) 11.0%, Ash (max.) 11%, Phosphorus (P) (min.) 1.0%. find out more
The frog pellets won't harm the fish. However, I'd never feed frog pellets to frogs. They are carnivores and they should be given live foods to eat. The problem here is that the frogs are being outcompeted for food by the fish and you have to ensure the frogs don't end up starving as a result.

Back
Top Bottom