Can ghost shrimp kill a betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KaylNeko

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Title says it all. Could ghost shrimp kill a healthy betta? Or... I remember reading about a crawfish or lobster or something that looks almost identical to a ghost shrimp that's fish aggressive. Does anyone know what I'm talking about with that?

Um I'm not sure if it could actually capture and eat it, but I had a problem where my ghost shrimp would latch on to and eat my Betta's tail. I then got rid of them, their is a shrimp that looks like ghost shrimp as a baby and sometimes is thrown in with them. If remember right it grew to get like half a foot long eventually though and would eat your fish. I'm Curious if the one mean shrimp I had was one of those.

Well my ghost shrimp would sneak up on my betta while he was sleeping on the bottom and latch on to his tail and he would swim around trying to shake him off maybe it was just a weird case though

I'm pretty sure my ghost did the same to my betta. I removed the shrimp and now the betta is doing betta :p

"Ghost shrimp" is a generic term used to refer to a particular complex of shrimp. Some species are much more aggressive than others, so it really depends on the luck of the draw. While it's highly unlikely for a healthy betta to be taken down by a ghost shrimp, that doesn't mean a mean shrimp won't make a mess of the bettas fins trying.

"Ghost shrimp" is a generic term used to refer to a particular complex of shrimp. Some species are much more aggressive than others, so it really depends on the luck of the draw. While it's highly unlikely for a healthy betta to be taken down by a ghost shrimp, that doesn't mean a mean shrimp won't make a mess of the bettas fins trying.

+1 smaller macrobrachium species may get mixed in the the ghost shrimp as they are very similar looking. However, the macrobrachium shrimp will get larger (2x or more) and aggressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom