Can I add a betta to my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kashea

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So right now I have balloon mollies, cory catfish, and an otocinclus in my tank. I have enough room that I could fit a rather large fish, so that isn't an issue. But will a betta get along with my fish? I've tried to look it up but keep getting mixed results. Thanks!

You didn't mention the size of the tank BUT while it is possible for some Betta's to live peacefully in a community tank there is a 50/50 chance it may or may not work. Betta's can get picked on as easily as being the aggressors so if you decide to try one in your tank you need to have a back up option of where he can live if it doesn't work out.

I added a veil tail betta in my 55 gallon community, my barbs tetras and angel picked on him, but a day later he stood his ground and now defends himself, he chases away any fish that gets 5 inches close to him and just chases it away, not aggressive though

Is it not also true that female betas are less aggressive, and have a better chance of cohabiting a community tank?

I have some aggressive females. Two of my females are more aggressive than the males I have. I have also found that the imported Bettas are more aggressive then US bred.

Back
Top Bottom