Can I add a Pleco to my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

solie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have an Eclipse 6 (6 gal) with 1 male betta and 1 neon tetra. What type of pleco should I add if it will be alright?

Thanks,
Matt

i really like gold nugget plecos :D that would be my first choice also plecos can grow so in a few years you will need to upgrade to a bigger tank (1" of fish for every gallon)

My wife and I moved into a rental while our new house is being built and the landlord won't allow any type of animals. So I had to pack up my 10 gal which had the tetra. I brought the 6 gal to work so I didn't have to get rid of my fish.

Yes, be very careful selecting a pleco. I have the common pleco and bought him when he was about an inch or so in length. He is now about 9 inches long. There are others that won't grow as long, but I am not sure you will find a pleco that can reside permanently in a 6 gallon tank.

If it doesn't take too long to build your new house you might be able to get one and then upgrade to a larger tank. I strongly advise you know the max size of the pleco you plan to buy before you get it.

There are a few plecos that stay small (under 4 inches) such as the bristlenose pleco, and I think the Queen Arabesque Pleco. However, a 4 inch fish is still kinda pushing it for a 6 gal tank.

I don't know whether to say yes or no, but definitley make sure that you have the right kind of pleco when you do buy one, and that (as robertmarda said) you know the max. size.

HTH

If you can get the pleco young, it will be fine for a year (or so). I recommemd the Rubber Lip (also called rubber nose and rubber face), Bristle Nose, Pitbull, or Clown. These are the most common that I have seen and won't cost a ton! They are pricier than the commons, but they will not out grow your tank.

I know you don't have much space in your tank, but your neon tetra would be MUCH happier in a school (ideally 5 or 6 others).

i personally like glowlite tetras they are almost the same as neons but instead of the blue band it is a goldband. 2 more neons and 3 glowlites would work great!!! the would all school together so you have some color in our tank :D IMO pleckos are more for 10 gal +

For a tank that small if you must have a "algae eater", a single otocinclus should work out well, just make sure to suppliment its diet with blanched veggies when the algae gets low.

If you go with a clown pl*co...keep in mind, a large part of their diet is wood. So driftwood would be a necessity.

I just bought one and they are beautiful little pl*cos. :)

smallfry said:
I know you don't have much space in your tank, but your neon tetra would be MUCH happier in a school (ideally 5 or 6 others).

I was going to suggest that too. If you don't need a pleco you may want to consider buying more tetras instead of the pleco.

smallfry said:

I agree. The neon is probably terrified of the betta. Does't the betta bite it?

I believe a pleco is not a good idea in a 6gal Eclipse, first because they need more space and second because these are acrylic tanks and they will rasp the sides, and scratch the tank. Speaking from experience here... :?

yeah, I wouldn't recommend getting a pleco. They are really just too big for a 6 gallon, even the small ones.

So everyone agress then that I shouldn't get one?
Ok. Is there any other fish that I could get that will help out with algae?

I was going to suggest the otocinclus but thought they do better in groups of 2 or 3. Their max size is 2 inches so if 1 can live alone then it would be perfect for the 6 gallon tank.

Chinese algea eaters can grow to at least 6 inches if not larger and as they grow larger they may become aggressive toward some fish. I would not recommend getting them.

I think 2 or 3 oto's would be ok in Matt's 6g tank if water changes are done regularly. One oto CAN live by itself...they just prefer company. :mrgreen: Plus, oto's are slim bodied fish, and don't produce alot of waste, IME.

Matt (Solie) - here's what I'd add to the 6g:
4 more neon tetras
2 otocinclus
* Be religous with water changes...watch water param's.

Not sure what you have for plant cover, but if you get the additional neons, they will need some "free swimming" room. So make sure to have a section of the tank "open". The betta will like one corner with floating plant(s).

Back
Top Bottom