Can I get one more?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jasonrusso

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have a 150 gallon FOWLR. I currently have a Porcupine Puffer (about 6-7"), a Yellow Tang (4-5"), a Fuzzy Dwarf Lion (5-6") and a Dwarf Golden Eel (maybe 10-12"?). I also have assorted snails, cerths, and hermits. I'm thinking about getting 1 more fish. I've been looking a possibly a Wrasse of some sort (I have some fire worms). Do you think I have enough room? I had a 75 gallon before "Sean" (Puffer) got too big and aggressive. I don't want to crowd everyone and have more stress and agressiveness issues.

My fear is that when my puffer grows more (he seems to have stopped a bit) he may become aggresive if space is limited. I was thinking wrasse because they seem to stay at the bottom a bit more and the puffer is a top dweller.

The LFS has a Lunare Wrasse. It's pretty cool looking. Live Aquaria lists it as "agressive," but I have mostly semi-agressive fish. Is this a good fit? Btw, it's a dwarf lion so it's mouth isn't as big, lol.

I have a lunar wrasse in my FOWLR (5x2x2) with a volitan lion, striped puffer, miniatus grouper, and Niger trigger. All get along well and they are all between 5 and 8 inches at this point. The lunar wrasse is very active and aggressive feeder. He was a but aggressive with smaller fish and nipped their fins quite a bit (I had to move a spotted grouper (3-4") to another tank as it got excessive). So with my experience (just mine, not scientific or otherwise), I would recommend that the wrasse is same or a bit smaller in size than the tank mates. Otherwise he is really cool to watch and is quite fast when he ticks off the miniatus grouper.

Well, I went with a Harlequin Tusk. It was much more expensive, but I think more practical than a Lunare Wrasse. I didn't want to come home to a Yellow Tang with no eyeballs.

Attachments

• IMG_0189.jpg
    IMG_0189.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 63
  • teeth.JPG
    teeth.JPG
    182.7 KB · Views: 67
He's doing well and eating. He never stops moving, lol!! It's exhausting. My yellow tang is about 1/2 the size, but seems to be bossing him a bit. I'm sure they just need to get used to each other.

Nice pick up! Better choice than the lunar wrasse in my opinion. :) Now if i could just pry open my wallet to buy a tusk.....been dreaming of the day......good luck with your new acquisition.

It's kind of comical how he bumps into my porcupine puffer. The puffer just hovers around and the tusk is always moving. It's bound to happen.

Back
Top Bottom