Can I keep Boesemani Rainbows in a 45gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Watsonja4

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well after fighting with fragile neon tetras for around two weeks I am ready to try something different. My original plan was to have neons, cory's, rams, and swordtails but after loosing neons one after another I have decided that my water has to high of a PH for this list to work. My water parameters are 0-Ammonia, 0-nitrites, 20-40 nitrates(best I can do with api color chart) and a PH of 8.0-8.2. I know nitrates are a little high but it seems to match my LFS bag water pretty closely so I have not been in a rush to lower it but I plan to get it close to 10 before buying more fish. So my new plan is this since I already have 3 swordtails in the tank that seem to be thriving is to add 5 Boesemani Rainbows, and a single Blue gourami. I have have researched the compatibility and I can't find any problems and also aqadvisor did not have any complaints. So I would like to get some feedback before I proceed. Tank dimensions are 36in x 12in x 24in, 45gallons if that helps.

Boesemani should do well in a 45 as long as you have plenty of room for them to swim. Swordtails and Boesemani should work together. They aren't compatible with rams because of temperature requirements in my experience. I lost 5 of them, 4 red irians, and 2 turquoise when my heater stuck on, the tank temp only got to 82 from 76, but that was enough to kill them. Rams like around 80 from what I've read.
I love my rainbows, they are an interesting fish, and will eat from your hand after a while. When I clean my tank, they come up and swim through my fingers and peck at my hands now.

Then I should be okay since my plan was to have:
3 - swordtails
5 - boesemani rainbows
1 - blue gourami

Thanks for the feedback.:thanks:

Make sure to have 2-3 females for each male Boesemani. My male is bumping and running her ragged still needing a few more. I have one male and one female. Looking for 2 males and 4-5 females.

They are kind of expensive. Especially the really nice bright color ones. Around where I live the nicer ones are 14.99 at the lfs. Some are a little less, most don't have as good of color from box fish stores as the local hobbyist breeders do (sometimes less $ direct from the breeder - skip the middle man.)

Back
Top Bottom