Can I put a Plecostomus with my African Cichlids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rolltide1980

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
First off, sorry if this is a noob or rookie question, even though I am fairly new to this. I have a 75 gallon FW tank that I've had set up for about 3 weeks now. I have 6 African Cichlids and a Pictus catfish and I noticed I'm starting to get a good bit of Algae on my rocks. Would a Plecostomus be alright to add to the tank or is there a better alternative? I have a feeling a pleco would be fine but just wanted to check before I just throw one in there.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have one with mine and it's fine. Gets chased out of spots sometimes bit other than that it's fine

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sounds good, mine are only about an inch long right now so I don't think they will be a threat if I get a pleco that's at least a couple inches in length

Seen it done many times. I personally like keeping fish from one region only but I don't see a problem as long as you don't make the water too alkaline or add salt since they are from softer water. My water is on the high pH side so it's great for Africans but I have also kept Plecos in the same type of water for years.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

unless you have a huge tank a bristle month or other smaller pleco would be better common plecos can quickly get over 12" long

I have a 55g with 23 cichlids and 2 bristlenose ancistrus plecostemous and they're all a big happy family. Though my plecos are super lazy. I don't find that they do much with my algae. They really only eat certain types of algae and not always the one you want them to eat. They also DO poop a lot so that is something to consider.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I run lights about 10 hours a day, run the moon glows about 2 hours

That's a little long. I run mine for 5 hours. 1530-2030. Still get some algae though. But have a gold nugget pleco in with my group of cichlids and he's left alone. They've never shown any interest in him.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom