Can I put in some small plants while cycling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RightTurnClyde

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm still in the ammonia phase of my 10 gallon fish-in cycle. Would it be wise to add a hardy plant at this point? Or would that just add an unneeded complication at this point? I'm thinking something like an anubias. Thoughts?

i would rather just add the plants afterwards as im guessing you're a bit in the middle of cycling so the bacteria are only coming soon the plants will take absorb the ammonia and nitrites leaving almost not enough for a good colony of bacteria.Add it after you cycle the tank then the anubias will remove all the C02 into oxygen which will help the bacteria grow even more

In order for the plants to make any difference with taking up a significant amount of ammonia the tank would have to be extremely heavily planted. A few anubias or whatever you would like to put in will not affect the cycle.

In order for the plants to make any difference with taking up a significant amount of ammonia the tank would have to be extremely heavily planted. A few anubias or whatever you would like to put in will not affect the cycle.

Cool! That's what I was hoping. I like your handle, by the way. Used to be a huge Phish phan, myself. (y)

I actually just replaced the incandescent bulbs that came with my hood to Coralife 10 Watt CFLs. The colors in my decor really pop now, almost like there's a black light.

Yes, you can. Your tank would have to be filled with nitrogen sucking plants to do that much damage, plus bacteria can live for months or on just traces of ammonia so it is fine.

Just got an anubias last night! It's in a little temporary pot filled with some fuzzy stuff. Should I leave it in there for awhile or take it out? The guy at the LFS said to leave it in for awhile until the rhizome started to grow out of the pot.

Just got an anubias last night! It's in a little temporary pot filled with some fuzzy stuff. Should I leave it in there for awhile or take it out? The guy at the LFS said to leave it in for awhile until the rhizome started to grow out of the pot.

No, take out as much of that fuzzy stuff as possible. That's what I would do anyway. The fuzzy stuff is filled with chemicals that will foul up your water. You can remove most of it by taking a toothpick, putting the plant in a small tub with aquarium water, and carefully removing it. That's what I would do with most plants anyway.

Back
Top Bottom