Can i put these sticks in my tank?? Are they safe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheBlackSloth93

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have always done driftwood in my aquarium and I love it. Problem is 1. I'm working on a budget. 2. I want a more natural look. I went today and picked up what looks like 2 different types of sticks. I got them from the mountains in MD. I am well aware of possible parasites, and tanints that can be released. I also know that certain kinda of wood will rot in the water and ale off. My question is. Based on looking at these pictures is this wood safe, can I risk it, there are no fish in the tank yet and won't be for about 5 days. The tank is cycled and it is 55 gallons. I want to put in Nicaraguense cichlids and some other schooling fish. Please any info on cleaning these sticks. If they look okay and what ever else I need to do.
Oh I also bought a Half Log for reptiles and snakes to hide under it's wood but there is bark on top. How should I clean that? Should I scrub it all off or can I just gently scrub it and then run hot water over it over night?

image-1265050489.jpg

image-1647057589.jpg

image-1415118561.jpg

image-4175936002.jpg

image-2910459054.jpg

image-790597118.jpg

I was just researching what kinds of wood are OK to put in aquariums. I found out that you will want to to only use hard woods and avoid the soft woods. Do you know what kind of trees these sticks came from? Generally, you can tell which wood is hard by seeing if your finger nail can leave a mark on the wood. If it does, it's too soft. After this, you have to make sure that the wood won't leech out toxins that will kill your fish. I still haven't figured that part, but with some research, I'm sure you can determine this.: )
As for the reptile log decoration, you have to get rid of all of the bark on it because it will end up decomposing in the tank if you don't. I would suggest sanding it down. Hope this helps!

As far as I heard, this sticks are no good. As previous post says, it is soft and could poison your fish. IMO but I am no expert at it. I wouldn't of risk..

Do research and look into manzanita wood, it is kinda what you are looking for, it's got that branch/stick look to it :)

As long as those sticks didn't come from a pine tree they should be just fine. I would recommend soaking them in a tub for a few days maybe weeks just so that way they won't float. That's how I get all my drift wood. Just pick up a few sticks, and stick them in a 5gal.bucket. The bark will naturally fall off in the bucket. Or you can scrub it off. Good thing is, it's in a bucket! So all the negative things that may be hidden in the wood will come out with time, just clean the water every so often. Maybe add a bit of aquarium salt to help with any parasites or things. The process can take a while. Just saying, a small piece of oak took 4-3 weeks to sink. I had a rock hold it under the whole time. There may be more convenient ways, but this is how I got all my drift wood. Free of charge :) you can always sand blast it too

So I have two different answers.?? I'm still confused as to if I should try these. I really want to but the risk of killing my fish... When I get them is pretty big IMO. But your saying you use any stick you find. Also. The reptile log is in the tub now. I have time to wait since my 2 aqua clears 110's broke simultaneously. Seems like god wants me to be fish less. But I shall prevail... In a few paychecks.
And I have seen manzaniqua wood. Love it. But it's very pricey at my LFS. As is everything in there that's why I'm picking up outside sticks.

Basically just use caution with the sticks from outside, you never know what's on them. Clean them really good and let them soak. As long as the sticks didn't come from a pine tree, and do not have sap in them they will be alright.

Ok. Lol. That about the only good thing I've heard so far. Well. Seeing as my two filters crapped out my heater needs replacing and yeah. Wish we never moved. So much work to do. But oh well.

Not to discourage you, just looking out for your fishy friends! :) hope you get more help on this. Good luck

The first and third photo I am pretty sure are birch. I have used it in my tanks and it is fine. The others I couldn't really tell what they are. The cave thing is intended for snakes and such so it should be okay. I would soak them for awhile and change the water every day.

I ended up using only one stick. It sank first and I boiled it baked it and soaked in hot water daily for 3 days. Water never dropped below 97 degrees. The rest had a weird smell and I cut the ends off and they were green inside so I used drift wood. Better safe then sorry. Here's a pic. Excuse my socks as a back drop. It hasn't been my priority yet but I'll soon get one.

image-3828658237.jpg

image-2150693755.jpg

image-1671579951.jpg

image-2994908330.jpg

Nice driftwood. I collect mine from a local river after the winter melt. I've found some of the nicest pieces that way so far. People worry about it a lot but as long as its well weathered and mostly baroless its okay to use. As long as its not rotting away. Another thing I do to test is press my finger nail into it. If my nail sinks in then its no good.

Yeah I think I'll try this very tiny river by my house and look at getting some other pieces. It was time consuming but worth it. :/ even though I only got one piece.

It will. I want to silicone a manzanetia beach coming from my hood down into the tank. Just haven't found that right branch. I'd also like to add some live plants and a larger more center piece looking type of driftwood. I rushed in IMO because I wanted that pair of Cichlids. They have been in my LFS for 2 months to my surprise and I can't lose them. So I set it up waited 5 days for prep work and checked my water and got them. They are already digging spawning pits :D and are PIGS very happy. Going to feed krill for there colors to pop more.

Back
Top Bottom