Can I use a 40w CF lamp on a 96w fixture?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gu2high

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a Coralife 2x96w CF light fixture on a 58 gallon tank. If use both lamps I find it is too bright so I normally use one lamp only (i.e., 96w). By using one lamp, the other no-using lamp blocks the light to reflector and it has less useful light than one lamp only fixture. I feel the light is a little lower than what I wish. If I could replace one 96w lamp with a 40w (I know it is shorter), then it would be perfect. I just don't know whether it is safe to do it or the 40w lamp will be burned out quickly.

One thing I forgot to do it is, remove the no-using lamp and then it won't block any light to reflector and it won't be 'burned' by the other using lamp. I was stupid not to do it earlier.

Never thought of that before. IMO I would contact the maker of the fixture or even someone like Coralife and ask them.

I know people run 55 watt bulbs in a 65 watt fixture, but yours in quite a difference.

I'll see if I can find anything on the net.

EDIT:

The only thing I could find was there are maximum watts on the CF ballast's and no minimums. People have them configured in all sorts of ways.

I opened the fixture, find two ballasts have lables on them: Coralife 120v 60Hz 1.35amp 81watts, Power factor:>=0.5, for 96w/PL Lamp.
I don't know if I can use 40w lamp on the ballast.

But, if I really want to do it, I can buy both a 40w lamp and its corresponding ballast to install in it. I measured the size of the Coralife ballast (8"x2"x1.25") so that when buying another one, I need make sure that it will be fit inside. May be I can go to a home department store to buy a cheap one.

55 watt bulbs "are" 65 watt bulbs if you get what I mean. Same goes for 28/32 watt compact flourescents.

"Bulbs are stamped "28W", but they will work fine in 32W fixtures. It's the ballast that drives the bulb, so if you have a 32W ballast, a 28W bulb will run at 32W and vice versa."

Straight from Hellolights.com. You even notice in their section with 65 watt bulbs, they sell them as 55/65 watt bulbs.

As to you question about a 40 watt bulb, I don't know it that will work but I dont think it will. I have a 54 gallon corner planted tank. The only fixture I can put on it is a 24'' one so I have a 130 watt (2x 65 watts) fixture on it.

The only way it would work safely is if the ballast was an electronic type that automatically "swichted" itself for the correct wattage. It would say "36/40/55/96" or some such on it. The nomenclature you indicated makes me pretty certain your ballast is only for 96w bulbs.

Why not just turn off/disconnect one of your 96w bulbs instead?

Why not just turn off/disconnect one of your 96w bulbs instead?

There are two switches, each for each bulb, so I did turn off one bulbs. This is a no CO2 tank. If using both bulbs, it creates algae. If using one bulb, the light is a little lower than my wish to be.

You could create a physical barrier to block part of the light. Or perhaps replace one of the bulbs with a 50/50 bulb.

"replace one of the bulbs with a 50/50 bulb" sounds like a good idea. I may try it in future.

Back
Top Bottom