Can I use dry rock in my freshwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

james1085

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I hav a 55 gallon African cichlids tank and was wondering if I could use dry rock in my freshwater aquarium I was also wondering if I can do this how many pounds I should get?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I hav a 55 gallon African cichlids tank and was wondering if I could use dry rock in my freshwater aquarium I was also wondering if I can do this how many pounds I should get?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hi, I had a quick look myself as very much a learner on rock use in aquariums.

It seemed that it depended on where the rock was sourced from / made of but also mainly if there was organic matter in it? So perhaps old inland reef mined for aquarium use would be quite clean (once washed) and ok to use?

Dry rock is free of the organic matter.

It is calcium based, so if you cannot have the hardness in your tank raised any higher, i wouldn't use it, as it will raise the hardness of the water a lot. If its ok to have harder water, then you can use it.

:)

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Personally, I would not. I'm assuming by dry rock your referring to the base rock used in saltwater.

Some nice lace rock would work or as a cheaper option if you live in a region with natural stones just pick some out and boil them. Test first with the vinegar method to see if they will alter your water chemistry.

I have 150lbs of dry rock (base rock) in my 160g (84x18x24) african cichlid tank with 20 mbuna and 3 haps.uploadfromtaptalk1443031124695.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom