Can it be done?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crs1945

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 29gal community tank with Platy's,glo-light Danios, Red Eye Tetras and 1 Mystery snail. Parameters are NH3-0, NO2-0, NO3- 10-20ppm. Temp-78 degrees, gH-6, KH-9. When I test the pH at low range =7.6, but at high range = 8.4 ( ???? ).
Could I keep a Bolivian Blue Ram or a Apisto. species in this community tank with the above parameters and WHAT is MY ACTUAL pH reading ( low or high ). Thanks:banghead:

I'll have to read up on the ph rating but you could do two bolivian rams in that tank one male one female.

I have a 29gal community tank with Platy's,glo-light Danios, Red Eye Tetras and 1 Mystery snail. Parameters are NH3-0, NO2-0, NO3- 10-20ppm. Temp-78 degrees, gH-6, KH-9. When I test the pH at low range =7.6, but at high range = 8.4 ( ???? ).
Could I keep a Bolivian Blue Ram or a Apisto. species in this community tank with the above parameters and WHAT is MY ACTUAL pH reading ( low or high ). Thanks:banghead:
IMO pH is greatly overrated, and many can agree with me. The Bolivians is a fine idea, and a bit more hardy than the German Blues I hear. I would say that you should drip acclimate them though...

I have had Bolivians in 8.2 pH water for 3 weeks now and they are healthy and happy, same with my Apistos and dicrossus (Apistos for 2 weeks, dicrossus for 3 days), it's more about maintaining than lowering...if you were looking into uncommon species, that are mostly wild caught, I'd say there's a concern. Tank bred and raised specimens are much more adapted to tolerate higher ranges of pH. I have A. Cacautoides and A. Trifasciata, as wellas D. Maculatus and D. filamentosa.

And I agree, Bolivians are at more hardy than GBRs. I've lost 4 GBRs (1 didn't even make it home from the LFS!) but haven't lost a single Bolivian ;)

Back
Top Bottom