Can lighting time be split?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

heartsx2

Aquarium Advice Regular
Might sound like a silly question... I know lights should be on for 10-12 hours a day... Can I split this time so they are on more during morning and evening hours when I am home? Like 7am-12pm-ON / 12pm-2pm-OFF / 2pm-9pm-ON? I just started up a low-light tank. Thanks:)

This "siesta" period can work very well to cut back on algae, as I have had it work for me, but in the long run it makes plants work much harder to do what they need to do to thrive, and helping the plants do their thing efficiently is the best defense against algae.

For whatever reason you do it (save the lighting for when you are there to enjoy your tank, cut down on heat, kill algae) there is no harm in trying it and let your plants be your guide - if they no longer grow like they used to, or otherwise show signs of nutrient deficiency, etc. then you'll know to return to your regular lighting schedule.

I've tried the split photoperiod, or "siesta" period and found it never had much impact...but I also don't want to totally dissuade folks from experimenting and learning. I always evaluate a method based on Tom Barr's mantra. Does the method help plants grow. The answer IMO is clearly no. Plants will grow best without having an interrupted photoperiod. Several major changes occur during the light and dark cycles, forcing this change in rhythms doesn't seem logically sound IMO. If it were the best way to grow plants and keep algae in check all the better aquatic gardeners would be doing it...and so would mother nature. Sure, there are cloudy and rainy days but the light on those days is still quite a bit, certainly magnitudes higher than leaving the tank without lighting.

A few, and I mean a few, folks have reported using a Siesta period has reduced or eliminated algae in their tanks. The most plausible theory in those cases was related to CO2. In tanks that are CO2 limited, the siesta period could allow CO2 levels to build up again during the dark cycle so that overall the CO2 levels during the shorten lighting period would help the plants grow more than leaving the lights on during a full photoperiod and having CO2 levels become fully depleted.

It should be noted that Amano mentioned at the AGA conference this year that he is using intense Metal Halide lighting for 3-4 hours during the middle of his photoperiod. He uses low light during the first few hours, then the MH's, followed by low light. To me, this makes the most logical sense for replicating lighting in the tropics, where most of our plants come from, the problem lies with the cost factor...few have Mr. Amano's budget for a planted tank.

My main point is, try the split photoperiod, if it works great. I'm always in favor of experimentation. I simply want to caution everyone in giving conclusions as to why it does or doesn't work. There are other factors brought into play such as CO2 and nutrient assimilation. Until I see someone employing the method with repeatable longterm successes I'll personally be skeptical. One thing is certain, algae needs much less light than plants.

Back
Top Bottom