Can regular Lowes silicone go in a tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

austinsdad

Aquarium Advice Addict
Looking at making feet for my Mag7 pumps to maybe help with the vibration/noise (if that could be a problem). The Mag 12 comes with a rubber mat. The 7's don't. I was thinking about using the water tight silicone for the feet in my acrylic sump for the pump. I can, right? Or is there some special aquarium grade silicone that I need to use?

I guess it'd also be wise to ask if I shouldn't be worried about the Mag7s having rubber bottoms anyway.

I only use stuff that says safe for aquariums on it...

I hae heard of people using a mouse pad cut down on those... Thats what the mag 12 pas looks like..
On my Mag 7 I was lucky to have some suction cups laying around that fit into the holes on the bottom....
If you use the silicon post a pic......

If you look at the tubes it will usually state if its "Not for aquarium use". If its the clear sylicon that has no fungicide or anything you should be ok.

Cool. I'm doing my install work as we speak. The mag 12 pad had enuf left for one of my 7's (skimmer). Not sure I'm gonna do the other 7 (UV) with feet since I'm not runig that 24/7 anyway.

While we're on the silicone subject, ya think it'd help keep suction cups on the side of glass. Got an ATO and the cups needs to work for a sensor. Thinking I'd put the cup on the side glass with silicone. Think it'll work?

Guys Silicone is silacone. All you have to do is read the lable on the silacone that is safe for aquariums. If it says 100% sillacone then any other product that is 100% silacone will work.

Same thing as a generic drug and a top name drug. As long as the ingrediants are the same you are fine. Point bing that the stuff for aquariums is typically a good amount more expensive than the stuff that is for everyday use. THey are tryign to sell you on the marketing. DOn't let them trick you.

One other thing I would look for is this- some silicon is meant for sealing, some for adhesive, some for other htings. Make sure you use the proper one. Soem don't have godo properties for holdign material together.

Back
Top Bottom