Can someone I.D. this crayfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmm. I thought he looked more like a white river crayfish.

Maybe if you squint and turn your head sideways...

I haven't heard of them. Been away from crays for a little bit. But after searching the pics, imho it seems to have more of a mottled/marbled look.

Again they will darken or lighten with their surroundings and substrate to some degree -and as they get comfortable and have ideal water parameters, will get best coloring.

If your looking for cheap food for a crayfish, I suggest frozen sweet peas. My Wild crayfish even loves them.

and I agree, it looks a lot like the marbled Crayfish, aka the self replicating crayfish. But I'm not entirely sure that's what it is. From what I've read on those kinds, they all have female bodies and tiny claws and are herbivores.

be careful with local laws involving them. Some places don't like them.

If mine is a marbled, I'll have to take him to the local wildlife sanctuary. Wisconsin law says that we can't posses non native crays.....not sure if it's on a boat or land or something like that. It's kinda confusing.

That's why I was hoping he would be a white river.

Sent from my 0PM92 using Tapatalk

Simply way to test.

Check the underbelly. If it has female genitalia, it could be a Marbled because they all have female genitalia.

Give the little guy 2 choices of food - Sweet peas and a freshly killed feeder fish. If it eats the fish, its not a Marbled as marbled are strictly herbivores.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a male. But there's still that other marbled type.

okay. So long as its not the self replicating type the laws should be a bit more lenient.

here in Illinois, I have a Rusty as a pet. I plucked her out of my local waters. I called my Local DNR and spoke to a conservation officer and got permission to keep her as a pet. Just asking couldn't hurt, and I've had her for 9 months or so.

I don't believe any crayfish is strictly herbivore or carnivore, AFAIK they are all omnivorous, that said some lean more one way or the other, but will still eat both. They are opportunistic feeders.

I'm sorry. You are right. I miss read the information I was looking at.

Feeding
The diet of the marbled crayfish is mainly vegetarian, and it will eat most live plants found in aquariums, particularly Anacharis and Cabomba. It is my experience that marbled crayfish will not chase and eat aquarium fishes, unlike other crayfish species. They will, however, eat bloodworms and very finely chopped pieces of calf liver when mixed in with a vegetarian diet. Marmorkrebs also enjoy eating aquarium snails of all sizes and are very good to use for wiping out snail populations in overrun tanks. Interestingly, it is also possible to modify the color of this crayfish species with their diet. For example, feeding green-colored algae tablets over time will cause the entire animal to take on green colors. Likewise, feeding foods rich in the pigment astaxanthin,which is found in red algae such as Haematococcus pluvialis, will cause the crayfish to turn cherry red.

http://www.tfhmagazine.com/freshwater/feature-articles/owning-clones.htm

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Mine will go after minnows. I'd day it loves eating fish.

it doesn't sound like a self replicating cray then. I think you can rule that out at this point seeing as it has male genitalia and actively goes after fish.

Could still be the regular procambarus fallax.

Back
Top Bottom