Can someone identify this problem please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jacobwt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
100L tank
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 5-10

The tank is planet and houses 2 adult guppies 2 pearl gourami, 2 LFBN plecs (1inch), 2 corydoras, 1 female fighter, 2 sidthimunki, 4 Otto and 2 swordtails.

Male pearl gourami has 2 patches of white looking scales on both sides of his body, what is this!?

Attachments

• IMG_0803.jpg
    IMG_0803.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0800.jpg
    IMG_0800.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 89
Hello Jac...

Fish health problems are water related. Your 25 gallon tank is small and more difficult to maintain a steady water chemistry. What is your water change routine? A tank this small would require a 50 percent water change a couple of times a week to keep the water healthy enough to keep fish.

B

Oh :/ I've been changing 30% every 3 days, haven't changed the water this week as my swordtails have signs of white spot and have been treating with NTLabs anti white spot &a fungus I've done the last dose of treatment today ready for a 50% tomorrow then another 50% on Wednesday.

I've been keeping fish in this tank for about 6 months, would you be able to recommend a suitable size aquarium I should have?

Water perameters are still reading

Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 5-10 about maybe 10-15

Your water seems ok...
As far as the treatment you are doing....does it require you remove your filters?

No filter removal required, I've seen some people saying that it can clear up after a water change, he might just be sensitive to the treatment

I will test my perameters when I get back from work tonight before my water change

Fungus usually only grows on injured /dead tissue.
If it is not fuzzy it is not fungus..
I might try methylene blue ?
Very basic and not super strong but ?
After that and the fish still looks unwell might want to give columnaris a look.
If your tank is over 76 you might want to turn it down to 72...

If your fish have white spot the patches on the pearl could be due to rubbing (flashing) against ornaments which is then damaging or removing his scales.

I completed the treatment over last week, I am using NTLabs anti white spot and fungus medication, which contains methylene green, I've risen the temp to 32 degrees C. I'm going to be doing a 50% water change tonight

I've risen the temp to 32 degrees C.
If it is not a parasite but rather a bacterial infection the rise in temp should show results..
The fish will get worse quickly.
Many bacterial infections thrive in warmer 'clean' water which many parasites do not.
Keep a close eye on the gourami.
If it looks worse quick then drop that temp to less then 25c.

Oh ****, I hope it's not I will update everyone when I get home!

The male gourami looks a lot better today, he's eating and hanging out with his mate. As you can see my water chemistry is fine or so it says on my tests, the water hasn't been changed in 7 days with 5ml of NTLabs anti white spot&fungus being added every other day as per the instructions. I can still see white spots on my female swordtail also lost my male swordtail with no signs of being distressed, he was active yesterday floating on the surface today :/

Attachments

• IMG_0820.jpg
    IMG_0820.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0823.jpg
    IMG_0823.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0824.jpg
    IMG_0824.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 46
Have you noticed aggression between the gouramis ? The male looks female and the female looks loaded with eggs.
Quick deaths with no signs always makes me say columnaris if there is an issue.
Sometimes fish just die due to environment or other reasons besides disease.

The male is a bit smaller than the female but he has pronounced fins, I'm pretty sure it's a male. They always swim around together exploring and eating, never seen any damage on the fins or body and they both have perfect feelers.

It's reading 0 on all after the last dose of medication, is there a problem with that? :/ I do have a few plants in the tank but I don't know if it's enough to reduce it that much, got a hair algae problem though if that causes low nitrate

Are you shaking your liquid test kit reagents really well? (Especially nitrate bottle 2) Those tests can read at zero if the reagents aren’t completely mixed, and the nitrate 2 bottle takes more /harder mixing then most people think!

Back
Top Bottom