Can the goldfish survive?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rreekers

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I adopted a fancy goldfish from my irrational 14 year old sister who for some reason though that she could keep it with her 4 now 7in long feeder goldfish in a 55g. anyways, i only have full supplies and space to set up a 10g tank for him. (gravel, plant - sword of some kind, filter, low level heater(68-71 degrees), air stone) .... i know the light looks extreme.. it really isnt that bright- its just a lousy phone camera

will he be okay in this type of environment?

ive only ever kept live breeders, i know nothing about fancy goldfish

any tips or ideas?
also he does not seem to eat much.. why? all chemical levels are good on the tank, last time i checked 3 days ago... ive had him for at least a month.

Another thing, i think that one of his eyes is larger (like more bubbled out) than the other, is this something that i should worry about?

Attachments

• IMG_20111103_182631.jpg
    IMG_20111103_182631.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_20111103_182647.jpg
    IMG_20111103_182647.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_20111103_182716.jpg
    IMG_20111103_182716.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 80
It's a black moor goldfish. Honestly neither place is good for him. The 55 is overstocked with the fish in it plus this fish doesn't stand a chance competing for food with the others. The 10 gallon is way too small. The proper tank size would be a 20 gallon.

Thank you for clarifying what type of fish he actually is...
will he at least survive in that tank? i know it is not idea but i have no other options for him at this point... im trying to make the best of a bad situation :/

Do you have any idea about what could be the case with one eye being more "puffed out" than the other.
also what would be an idea temp to keep the tank at?

His eye could be pop eye, easily treated. Temp should be no higher than bout 25

When you say all the chemical levels are good what do you mean??? Do you have a liquid test kit?

What exactly are your readings for amm/nitrite/nitrate? Do you by chance have another filter you can put on this tank as well (or bigger one)? How often are you doing pwcs & how much? Black moors eyes are very sensitive to nitrate levels-keeping the nitrate as low as possible may be enough to help his eye. Unfortunately, the this size tank is going to get toxic quickly because goldies have such a high bioload-you will need to be religious about testing the water parameters & doing lots of pwcs (and look into a larger tank in the meantime). If you can possibly add an airstone or bubble wand (or 2) that would help increase the oxygen levels-goldfish have very high oxygen demands & a tiny filter wont provide adequate aeration. The heater isnt really necessary (unless your keeping this tank outdoors in 20 degree weather)-goldfish are a coldwater species of fish. Please keep asking questions & we will help you!!

Last edited:
Looks like you're new here, so welcome to AA. First of all, do you know what cycling is/is your tank cycled? If not, take a look here: I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

The larger eye could be popeye, but I can't tell from the pic. Can you get a clearer shot?

He may survive in a 10gal, but it's not at all ideal. IMO, at least a 30gal tank would be best. Even fancy goldfish get quite large, and I have seen 6in+ black moors before. Goldfish have a large bioload(produce a lot of waste) along with their size, which is why a 10gal will not be suitable for long. What test kit are you using(liquid/strips) and what are the exact readings for each parameter?

Best of luck,
--Adeeb

Yes, I have a API that I use for all of my 4 FW tanks(60g,10g,30G,10g). The chemical levels that I took last night read as PH ~7.4-7.6 Amm ~0.1 rites~0.125 rates~ 5ppm
[FONT=&quot]- [/FONT]I do water changes about every week give or take a day or two based on schedule, I change out 30-50%
[FONT=&quot]- [/FONT]I currently have a 12 in air stone rod in the tank (he love it :))

Just a suggestion, but you really should up your pwcs due to the small tank size & the high bioload of a goldfish. It will become toxic MUCH quicker than your other tanks. There really should not be any detectable ammonia or nitrites in his tank, so i would really do a 50% pwc today and continue with them anytime you have detectable ammonia or nitrites or the nitrates rise above 20ppm. Good luck & keep asking questions!

It's great you're looking out for the Blackmoor. Since the 10gal the best it's got at the moment, just stay religious on PWC's. Another filter would be helpful to help manage the bio-load. The eye could be popeye, injury or just the way it formed. Continue to monitor and keep us updated.

Thank you all for being so helpful :) starting my water change as we speak....
I know people don't vacuum their gravel everytine they do a water change, but how often should it be done?

rreekers said:
I know people don't vacuum their gravel everytine they do a water change, but how often should it be done?

I do 1/2 my gravel one week then do the other half next week. I read a bunch of stuff about not vacuuming it all because you may damage the bacteria colonies. Don't know if it's true though.

You will get various opinions on this topic! I actually do a 'surface' vaccumm of any debris every other day (i use this vaccumm contraption with a mini filter that sucks up debris but lets the water flow through) and then vaccumm all of the gravel with pwcs 2x a week. Alot of people would probably consider me a bit crazy though :)

If I move this black Moor to a 29g tank.. would it be okay to get him a friend?
One friend (another moor or telescope) would be fine & he would probably enjoy the company! But, same thing, keep your eye on the ammonia/nitrites/nitrates & do pwcs as needed to keep them under control.

Wonderful :) and yes i have been trying to keep a log of all my tanks reading.. and trying to establish a sure fire schedule for PWC

I moved Mr. Goldfish to the 29 gallon today! And got him a friend, a calico telescope goldfish... the new goldfish is smaller than the original moor ... will this be ok? I added plant to the tank. What is the beet way to arrange a goldfish tank?... I will post a picture of my current arrangement soon

Back
Top Bottom