Can there be only 1 dominate male?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquaticAl

Aquarium Advice Regular
In my 40 breeder I have 4 or 5 male peacocks and about 4 female peacocks of breeding size. Everyone was getting along fine for the past few months but now there is constant bullying when a new alpha male takes over after moving the original alpha to a bigger tank. Each alpha ruins the colors of all of my other males which greatly takes away from the look of the tank. Would I be better off adding 3-4 more females or putting all of my females in a different tank to leave this one all male?

You would be better off having just one male as peacock males tend to kill off other peacock males. If you had several males with females for a while you got lucky. This is an extreme exception to the rule and not something that you will find easy to replicate.

Can't males co-exist fine if there are no females present? I have seen quite a few all male tanks on YouTube

They can, but be ready to rehome bullies and replace until you get a compatible bunch. The one thing to remember is to ensure that the colors are very different as they will attack other males that look to similar to themselves. There can be absolutely no females or you may face a fish world war.

Back
Top Bottom