Can vinegar damage silicone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfairy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok I've gotten paranoid about my tank and I really need a little reassurance. On Saturday, I filled it up outside and let it sit about an hour to make sure there were no leaks. I did not find anything. Then yesterday I let some vinegar soak on the glass to clean off the mineral deposits. There was enough vinegar in the tank to puddle up, but it wasn't filled with vinegar or anything. When I moved the tank, I noticed a wet spot under one of the corners. Now this could have been from me spilling some vinegar, but I'm really worried now because the corner of the tank was wet and I don't remember spilling anything there. Also it almost seemed like it got a little wet again aftere I wiped it off, but this could have been my imagine since I was already worried. I took it outside and did another small fill test and didn't get any leaks that I can tell. Do you think this is my imagine or that I really could have a leak? I'm so scared that I'm going to set it up and then get 55 gallons of water all over my living room floor.

Vinegar mixed with water would not be strong enough to hurt your silicone, especially since you rinsed it out. If you are that worried and I can understand that, I just pumped most of my tank into the basement. I would just fill it and leave it outside for another day to be doubly certain.

Well what about straight vinegar? I didn't use water until I rinsed it out. While I was cleaning I only used the vinegar though. Was that a mistake?

I can't imagine it is a problem, vinegar is not that strong an acid. I wouldn't worry to much. Just leave filled one more day outside to be certain. That way you have peace of mind.

I used straight distilled white vinegar on my 55G when I got it, as it was used and needed cleaning badly. No ill-effects....

fishfairy said:
Well my husband doesn't want to test it again because he says I'm wasting water.

Well then it seems he's agreeing to take the risk that it might be leaking. Water & Sewer here is $4.04 per thosand gallons; at that rate its 40 cents for 100 gallons. Is that really worth getting upset over ???

I washed my fry tank with straight white vinager, didn't have a problem with it.

But yeah, 40 cents of water down the drain or 55 gallons of water on your floor... you decide.

Vinegar will not harm the silicon unless it is left to sit there for days on end (who does that anyways?).

I've used it many time to clean my tanks with no problems. I've actually heard of people using rather strong acids to clean lime deposits off their tanks. Kind of hard not to get any on the silicon.

I have 2 75 gallon tanks that house turtles, and let me tell you what, turtles are messy creatures. That being said, my wife and I clean their tanks twice a week, and have been doing that for years (BTW, a python is the greatest thing ever!). Each cleaning I have used a mix of warm/hot water and distilled white vinegar. I have not had any problems with the silicone at all.

So, there is almost nothing you have to worry about unless your tank was already old, or you left the straight vinegar in there for days.

Now if you are still concerned, I suggest you eat the minor cost of the 100 gallons, fill that tank up, and make sure you are comfortable with the results. The alternative is just not worth taking the chance IMO.

MSU Fan said:
So, there is almost nothing you have to worry about unless your tank was already old, or you left the straight vinegar in there for days.

Well the tank is used, but I don't know how old it is. In any case, I'm going to do an overnight fill test on Friday night and then set it up Saturday if everything goes well.

Good luck Fishfairy. I agree with all that vinegar is not the problem. I have also used straight white vinegar and didn't have a problem. Just be carful to inspect it well since it is used. Even if you think it is ok, go around it for the first couple of weeks and run your finger along the seems for any wet spots. I do this on my tank every couple of weeks anyway. Good Luck, you will probably be fine.

Agree - vinegar should be OK for silicone. However, always test fill a used tank just in case the seal is old & falling apart. If you are worried about wasting water - use it to water your plants or lawn! <BTW - I do that with all my change water.>

Back
Top Bottom