can water changes be bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marge02144

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've read that when you do a large water change it can get rid of the beneficial bacteria. I thought the bacteria lived in the filter and stuff, not the water. I just did about a 60% water change because I was siphoning fry, but there are more fry that I need to get and I just wanted to know if I do too many water changes, would that effect the beneficial bacteria and such?

depending on tank conditions you could shock the fish with a huge water change. If you are changing your water every week I bet there is no problem. The problem occurs when tanks havent been cleaned or the water changed for a very long time and then a huge water change is done. The fish become shocked by the new water parameters. :)

Wait.. you're sucking up your fry? D:
But no most of the BB is in the filter and on surfaces, I've done two 70% changes back to back before. It's fine.

As long as you dechlorinate and make some effort to temperature match, you can't hurt your tank with water changes (old-tank syndrome excluded).

yeah i used my gravel vacuum to get the fry from the bottom of the tank. but thanks for the info!

Back
Top Bottom