Can you cycle without heater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tweediebrd

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I never have had to do this or even think about it in the past. I have cycled many many tanks before but i have a heater that I wanted on order and it is suppose to arrive in about a week. But could i start the cycle now and would the beneficial bacteria grow in the cold water or would it just be a waste of time?

I never have had to do this or even think about it in the past. I have cycled many many tanks before but i have a heater that I wanted on order and it is suppose to arrive in about a week. But could i start the cycle now and would the beneficial bacteria grow in the cold water or would it just be a waste of time?

I don't believe you will have an issue starting your cycle before you get a heater. I know people that have 10-20 gallon gold fish tanks with no heater. They cycled the tank just fine.

Alright, well that settles it then. I will start the cycle and add the heater when it arrives.

I don't know what I am planning lol..Most likely a community tank but as for what fish, I am not sure. I may just show up at my LFS and see what there is. Any ideas would be great though.

Not sure what kind of fish you like but personally i have a peacock eel, actually my second one I've had (unfortunately had a gap by my filter and first one got out) but they are by far my favorite fish that me or my girlfriend have ever had. Whenever i go to do anything in the tank he is all over my hand, swimming between my fingers and whatever I am moving. Also eats earthworms right out of my hand.

Not sure if its your kind of fish but they are awesome oddball fish that seem to get along with almost anything bigger than their mouth (smaller than that and they have a chance of becoming a snack for a hungry eel :p)

Back
Top Bottom