Can you grow a pothos plant with its roots directly in the aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tommyk

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi I'm relatively new to fish keeping.
I currently have a 15 gal tank but am in the process of upgrading.
I'm wondering is it safe to grow a pothos vine with just the roots in the aquarium, not in a filter but directly in the aquarium.
I hear they are good at keeping nitrate levels down.

Will this cause any problems to the fish or is there anything I should keep an eye on.

Thanks

Growing Pothos

Hi I'm relatively new to fish keeping.
I currently have a 15 gal tank but am in the process of upgrading.
I'm wondering is it safe to grow a pothos vine with just the roots in the aquarium, not in a filter but directly in the aquarium.
I hear they are good at keeping nitrate levels down.

Will this cause any problems to the fish or is there anything I should keep an eye on.

Thanks

Hello tom...

You can. Just make sure all the potting mixture is rinsed from the roots. The roots must be under the water with all the leaves above. The plant will grow better if you place an air stone underneath the roots. Water movement through the roots allows for a constant delivery of nutrients. Pothos is a good plant, but an even better one for controlling nitrates is Chinese Evergreen.

The fish will be fine. They'll appreciate the bit of algae that will grow on the exposed roots.

B

Hello B

Thanks for the info. I have a cutting I took a few weeks ago that has rooted in water so no potting mixture to worry about.
Can you use any plants that will root in water. I have a few impatiens cuttings I was going to try.
As long as they don't harm the fish.
And I guess I just found a new home for my Chinese evergreen :)

Using Land Plants in Freshwater Tanks

Hello B

Thanks for the info. I have a cutting I took a few weeks ago that has rooted in water so no potting mixture to worry about.
Can you use any plants that will root in water. I have a few impatiens cuttings I was going to try.
As long as they don't harm the fish.
And I guess I just found a new home for my Chinese evergreen :)

Hello again tommy...

Any plants that root in water will grow in the freshwater aquarium. I currently have Aglaonema (Chinese Evergreen) growing my Livebearer and Corydoras tanks. It's a bit larger plant, so it keeps the nitrate level very low all the time. The plants need to be trimmed regularly or eventually replaced just like standard aquarium plants.

I've used Pothos (Queen Marble), Philodendron and Nephthytis. The best Impatiens variety is "Shady Lady" if you can get it, but the others will work as well.

B

Cheers B

I love this forum you always get an answer so quick

Thanx again

Hello again tommy...

Any plants that root in water will grow in the freshwater aquarium. I currently have Aglaonema (Chinese Evergreen) growing my Livebearer and Corydoras tanks. It's a bit larger plant, so it keeps the nitrate level very low all the time. The plants need to be trimmed regularly or eventually replaced just like standard aquarium plants.

I've used Pothos (Queen Marble), Philodendron and Nephthytis. The best Impatiens variety is "Shady Lady" if you can get it, but the others will work as well.

B

Yup, I agree. I have pothos coming out of my hob and my tank and they grow really large really fast.

Ever stop to think as we up and up our aquariums and plants, to what we learned back in school growing plants in cups with nothing but water :)

Back
Top Bottom