Can you have Orandas in a planted community Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wade

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 26gal Bowfront tank.
It has a sand substrate.
I would like to have 2 Orandas and 2 dojo loches with 2 algae eaters and a few snails.
Can anyone give advice on if this is wise?

Probably won't work.. they'll go to work on the plants.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

And the tank is too small. An oranda should have a minimum of 30-40 gallons by itself.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

They would eat all of your plants unless you only had anubias and java ferns. You would also be very overstocked. A 26 could house one single oranda happily and healthily, but even that is pushing it. A 30 or bigger would be better.

Fancy goldfish can go in planted tanks but they have to be hardier plants like anubias, Java fern and the like, and securely tied/weighted down. Keeping them on a varied diet helps, though they still might nibble.

Algae eaters I'm guessing means plecos? Some people have had issues with some plecos sucking off the slime coat on goldfish so that's something to look into. Bristlenose plecs can handle the lower temps goldfish like (68-72f).

Dojos should work out fine but you're definitely looking for a bigger tank for that setup :/

Back
Top Bottom