Can You Help Me Decipher My Water Test Results?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jinkel

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, all! I'm a huge newbie, and am crazy happy to have found this forum!

Tank Info:
20 gallon, with a Marineland Penguin 150 Bio-Wheel filter.

Fish Info:
2 Arondas
1 Moor

Now before we start, I'd like to say that I'm a newbie (see above), and was stupid enough to take the LFS employee's word - that three goldfish would be okay in the 20 gallon tank. After doing my research, I can see that is CLEARLY not the case - - and am saving up for a 50 gallon (the hubs thinks I've gone off the deep end of the tank, so to speak. ;)).

Also, because I'm an impetuous fish dork, I did not cycle my tank before I came home with my adorable little buddies. I've had them for 7 days, and in these last 7 days, with each tidbit of research I have absorbed an accompanying "DOH!" moment has taken place. :dope:

So. Swearing to myself I will NEVER jump into something so foolishly again, here I am, educating myself as best I can with the help of all of you. :D

Which brings me to today. I did a water test today with the API Master Freshwater Test Kit. Here are the results:

pH: 7.6
hi-range pH: 7.4
Ammonia: 4.0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 5 ppm

Now the deciphering. Are these good, or bad? What would you advise me to do?

Also, I picked up another Marineland/Penguin Bio-Wheel filter (this one is the 100) today. Should I put that bad boy in the tank along with the 150, or would you recommend against it?

Additionally today, I put in an airstone. Should I keep that in there, or would my little guys be happier without it?

GAH! I think I'm done babbling for now. *grin* Thanks so much for your help, all! Clearly I need it. LOL

Dude that ammonia needs to be down to 0.25 at the most! Ideally 0.0, 4.0 of ammonia is really gonna be kicking your poor fishes butts. PWC on a daily basis my friend until you can get it down.

Welcome to AA :)

You are learning the way many of us have... the hard way. It's good that you've decided to be a responsible hobbyist and research what to do from here.

That being said, you are correct. Your tank is on the small side. As long as the fish are small, and you do either upgrade the tank or exchange the fish, you're going to be ok once you get through this cycle.

As far as your test results, they are pretty bad. Ammonia, as I'm sure you're aware, is quite toxic to fish. What you need to do is lots and lots of water changes. Do them back to back until you get your ammonia down to <1ppm... the closer to 0, the better. I would do two 50% pwc's back to back. Theoretically, this should put your ammonia at 1ppm. Do another one this evening. Keep testing your water. Once you get your ammonia to .25 or lower, keep it there. Do 50% pwc's as necessary to keep it at or below .25.

At some point in the near future, your ammonia will start to stay at 0, and you'll need to keep a close eye on nitrite. Do the same with it, but keep it as low as possible.

A good rule of thumb... if you're ever in doubt, do a water change.

Thank you SO much for your input...

...and for not judging me too harshly.

I did a 50% pwc, and we're down to 2.00 ppm for the ammonia. Gonna do the second pwc now. Do you recommend me adding the other filter today, also?

Also if you know someone who has a tank that is established than getting some of their filter media is a really good idea to seed the tank and get the bacteria onto your filters

Also if you know someone who has a tank that is established than getting some of their filter media is a really good idea to seed the tank and get the bacteria onto your filters

"filter media"- forgive my ignorance, but what would that be? Is it the filter cartridge itself?

(again, thanks to you guys for the input)

It's the sponge inside the filter. You only need a little bit to put in with the media that's already in your filter. It was then help to seed the bacteria into you tank quicker.

Back
Top Bottom