Can you id this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JC_Bus

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello I went to a nursery and I bought one of these plants because it said it would put oxygen on the water do you know what plant this is? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433970630.052205.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Anacharis.

Thats a silly statement though... plants spit out co2 during the night. You cant rely on plants to oxygenate the water.

I am new to the planted tank stuff. So could this be bad for the the fish?

I am new to the planted tank stuff. So could this be bad for the the fish?

If youre relying on plants to oxygenate your water, then its useless.

Its not inherently bad for fish though, especially since plants use nitrates.

If I get more plants could it put too much co2 in the tank?

No. I suggest reading through some build threads on here too.

Presumably it could assuming that your tank is set up poorly with tight fitting lids and little water agitation.

When I was first entering the hobby I had a 29g tank. With trying to adjust the flow and get everything nice I took away too much surface agitation. The fish were fine throughout the day, but I turned on the lights in the am after adjusting my filter the day before, all my fish were at the surface gasping for air.

tank2k.jpg

I added an air stone to rectify the problem.

Did it just take that long to deplete the oxygen? Possibly
Did the plants exacerbate the existing problem with my setup? Probably.

It's very rare, but it's still within the realm of possibility.

Presumably it could assuming that your tank is set up poorly with tight fitting lids and little water agitation.

When I was first entering the hobby I had a 29g tank. With trying to adjust the flow and get everything nice I took away too much surface agitation. The fish were fine throughout the day, but I turned on the lights in the am after adjusting my filter the day before, all my fish were at the surface gasping for air.

tank2k.jpg

I added an air stone to rectify the problem.

Did it just take that long to deplete the oxygen? Possibly
Did the plants exacerbate the existing problem with my setup? Probably.

It's very rare, but it's still within the realm of possibility.

Let's be real here, it is near impossible to kill your fish with plants. You're describing a separate problem with a lack of agitation to adequately facilitate the exchange of gases. Op just asked if he could have too many plants based on co2 production solely and the simple answer is not really. Otherwise co2 injection would not be feasible. Provided your filter agitates the water sufficiently you will be fine with whatever plants you like.

They also provide the benefit of removing (consuming) ammonia, nitrites and nitrates, particularly ammonia which many people seem unaware of.

It's NOT anacharis!
Closer to hornwort but still looks funny?
Plants DO produce o2 during lighting cycle and "respire" during the lights off portion of the show.
Maybe we should all read SOMETHING?
Without injected co2 NONE of this can possibly have a negative effect on fish.
Plant away JC but you would be better served looking for specific plants then going on salesman advice.
Welcome to AA a good fish place!

It's NOT anacharis!
Closer to hornwort but still looks funny?
Plants DO produce o2 during lighting cycle and "respire" during the lights off portion of the show.
Maybe we should all read SOMETHING?
Without injected co2 NONE of this can possibly have a negative effect on fish.
Plant away JC but you would be better served looking for specific plants then going on salesman advice.
Welcome to AA a good fish place!

someones a little over aggressive here... all points made before this are true and reliable sources for information

Thank you everyone for you help :)

Back
Top Bottom