Can you identify this fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amyb_70

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Title says it all. I don't recall getting this cutie so I'm not sure what it is, maybe someone here can help ID him. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406260918.178547.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Bumble Bee Goby. To my knowledge there's two kinds, one fully fresh water and one brackish water one. I do not know how to tell the difference sorry! Cute little guy though!

To the best of my knowledge, bumble bee gobies (arguably) can be kept in freshwater or brackish water. Brackish water being preferred so pretty much what Bichir Bro said. XD

Do either of you know if they get big or aggressive

BB Gobies stay small (under 2 inches) and are pretty peaceful. You should provide them some sort of "territory" they can claim. Possibly a PVC elbow in the corner or where ever his favorite spot is so he has a nice little cave where he claims his land. :)

I have a tank of brackish water set up for my bumble bee gobys, they are carnivores.
They are not aggressive at all and he will not grow much bigger than what you have. Mine are all about an inch long, they stay tiny.

Bumble Bee Goby. To my knowledge there's two kinds, one fully fresh water and one brackish water one. I do not know how to tell the difference sorry! Cute little guy though!

The most commonly traded brachygobius species is doriae like the op's fish and the most commonly traded true freshwater species is aggregatus, which is easily distinguished

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

May I ask what are it's tank mates?

The goby is a slow eater and often times difficult to feed. My tank is a 20 gal long. I have one side of the tank with a very fast current, and a low current on the other side.

They like to "catch" their food in the current. I have never seen mine eat off the bottom. I take frozen foods like blood worms and slice it very thin, then I drop it in the fast current.

I also have a balloon Mollie in with them to help keep the foods that have fallen to the bottom eaten. Since the Mollie is a slow swimmer, my gobys get plenty to eat.

I also keep mine at a specific gravity of 1.004 and 1.005, using marine salt not aquarium salt.

I hope this helps

The goby is a slow eater and often times difficult to feed. My tank is a 20 gal long. I have one side of the tank with a very fast current, and a low current on the other side.

They like to "catch" their food in the current. I have never seen mine eat off the bottom. I take frozen foods like blood worms and slice it very thin, then I drop it in the fast current.

I also have a balloon Mollie in with them to help keep the foods that have fallen to the bottom eaten. Since the Mollie is a slow swimmer, my gobys get plenty to eat.

I also keep mine at a specific gravity of 1.004 and 1.005, using marine salt not aquarium salt.

I hope this helps

Sounds like your handling things pretty well. I normally do species only tanks when I keep small bottom dwelling species to make sure they do eat, but it's good to hear the mollies work for you. It can be really hard to find a compatible tankmate for such a small brackish fish, I probably would have used ghost shrimp.

The most commonly traded brachygobius species is doriae like the op's fish and the most commonly traded true freshwater species is aggregatus, which is easily distinguished

Ah ok! Thanks for the pic and clarification on that!

If you were asking me about tank mates they are guppies and I have couple differant varieties of the tetras. I have a very peaceful task and they all seem to be getting along well. Which was a process. I didn't realize when I started this hobby how many fish there are, and assumed most were peaceful. A lesson learned the hard way, but learned.

I live in Maine where shrimp and snails are illegal to own, hence the mollie. I am not a real fan of balloon mollies because they are so prone to ill health, but I feed her veggie flakes first, then the meaty foods go in. I do not know of a bottom dweller I could keep with them to help keep the bottom clean. My freshwater tanks have corys...the vacuum cleaners of the fish world.

Hmm shrimps and snails are off limits? Darn! That is usually what I stock for a clean up crew...

You are cleaning excess food right? Just start feeding pellets and start feeding less because flakes are easy for the fish to lose track off (and she will gulp a lot of air which is bad for her)

Bottom feeders won't eat poop or other waste like that so you will probably have to just gravel vac (you probably knew that XD). If you want something that eats algae, you could maybe get some otos?

I would stay away from most plecos (except bristlenose plecos) as they get large and some can be aggressive.

Hope this helped! - Raymond

I hope this helps

of course you can ask. tank mates are guppies, and a few varieties of tetras (such as: black skirt, snow tetra, neons and danio - as they are all in the tetra family i do not school 6+ of each kind, but do have 5-6 of each similar such as the black skirt and snow total 6, the neon, danio, albino total 6-7). tank has been upgraded to a 29 gallon with lots of room for them now.

Back
Top Bottom