Can You Keep Goldfish w/ Tropicals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BBradbury

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello AA...

For some years I thought you couldn't keep Goldfish in the same tank with Tropicals because of the differences in diet, water temperature, the size of the fish and space requirements. Several weeks ago, I set up a 45 gallon tank and added some small Comets, Danios, Tetras and Corydoras from some of my other tanks. I set the tank thermometer at 72 degrees. The water change routine is pretty aggressive. I remove and replace about 60 percent of the water weekly and use a couple of dual sponge filters to filter and aerate the water. I feed all the fish a variety of flakes, freeze dried, pellets and Spirulina. The tank has been running fine and the fish are active and healthy. Attached is a picture of the tank. I've noticed with my other Comet tanks, I've had for some years with several fish, have been running fine and the fish though larger than when I started with them, still have ample room to swim.

B

L2JcnP4.jpg

From first hand experience keeping a goldfish at tropical temps (72-76 etc), it can work but it's not ideal. The goldfish will have a shorter life and will be more prone to getting sick easier because of the temp difference it needs.

The reason I say it will work is I was able to have my black moor (bought from walmart of all places) for 6 years, 8 moves, and 4 states at 70+ temps. I didnt know better at the time and since Ive always kept him at those temps and he was doing so great I thought nothing of it but I basically cut his life in half.

Temp might not seem like a big deal but we have to remember that their bodies will react differently in different temps, leading to things like faster metabolism, heartbeats, etc. Just like if we were outside in 100F days all the time, sure we can do it but it puts a lot of stress on our bodies that arent always apparent.

I would move him into a tank that is setup solely for ideal goldfish conditions when you get a chance.

I agree about the temp thing and I would think that as the Comet gets bigger the rest will be dinner .

Hello again...

I've done some research on combining the two and if the fish are raised together from the start when small, they won't see the smaller ones as lunch. If you feed the fish a little more and more often, larger fish aren't likely to bother smaller fish. As for temperature, because of the seasonal differences in their natural habitat, most Tropicals and Goldfish have a pretty wide range of water temperatures that are acceptable, generally from 64 to 74 degrees. Most are very hardy and adapt easily to a water temperature in that range as long as the temp is steady. Lifespan has a lot to do with pure water conditions. By removing and replacing most of the water weekly, the fish are never stressed due to increases or spikes in nitrogen levels from missed water changes.

It will be interesting to see how well the community gets along.

B

Back
Top Bottom